What's new

What should I do about this? (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
As you may have read in the receviers forum, I wanted to see how loud my Sony DE985 would go and turned it all the way up for 2-3 seconds, I smelled electronics burning and since then the speakers that were connected now sound distorted at medium volumes and they play weaker than they used to.

I did take the extended warranty on the speakers, should I return them now or wait a week? What should I tell them? Should I say what really happened?

They never told me turning the amp all the way could damage the speakers.

Thanks

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I have found that when returning something under warrantee, its ussually best to say" I don't know what happened." if you put your nose up to the voice coil of the speaker does it smell burnt?

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Yes when I smell the speakers it still smells a bit burnt even though this problem occured saturday (2 days ago).

Do you think they will smell them and find out they were played too loud?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
What should I say if they ask any of these questions?

-Was it like that when you got it?
-Did you play it loud?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It will be pretty obvious that they were clipped and damaged. You most likely melted the voice coils in the tweeters.

Damage from misuse is normally not covered by warranty, but you might get away with it. Note that what I am saying here is, this basically was your fault, whether it was a mistake or not. I don't see where it is anyone's job to tell you that clipping your amp and driving your speakers to distortion WILL damage them.

The receiver is the weak link here. The amps in the Sony DE line are not exactly the best, and you asked too much of it.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
But I did pay for the extended warranty, so I guess they will replace them. Anyway what should I tell them?

Sacha_C

Second Unit
But if they ask:
-Was it like that when you got it?
-Did you play it loud?

what should I tell them?

I bought the speakers at the sony store with an extended warranty.

Thanks

LorenzoD

Agent
Why are you asking us to help justify your lack of ethics?

You admittedly did something stupid. I would recommend that you be honest when they ask you what happened. If they choose not to bail you out, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks