What should I be aware of when upgrading my RAM?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Nov 5, 2002.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with 256 RD Ram(RD Ram memory is dual channel, 2 rimm slots per channel - what does this mean exactly?)

I'm looking to upagrade the ram to 512. I went to Future shop (best buy) just to get an idea of prices and products. They have the makes Azen and Kingston Tec(mobel?)

Anyway its kind of confusing with the makes and stuff for I'm not familiar with any of these names. I was just wondering if theres anything I should be aware of when buying. I have to use RD Ram correct and not SD Ram? Is there any makes I should stay away from? Or should I go to a Dell dealer here in town and buy from them? Will compatibility be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

2 slots per channel says to me that you have to add RAM in pairs (2 128MB sticks instead of 1 256)

Kingston's a great RAM brand. Bring your computer's manual with you and make sure you get the right speed, and make sure you ground your self when installing it

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Also, make note of the maximum amount of RAM each slot allows. In my case, I made the mistake of buying a 512MB chip when each slot in my computer only recognizes the first 256MB. Luckily I was able to return it. Reading the manual is Very important.

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Before you head out, you should go to crucial.com for an easy-to-use questionaire that will tell you exactly what type of memory you need.
    Go to the left side of the screen, where it says Memory Upgrades, and choose your computer manufacturer in the drop-down list. Continue as instructed.
    I bought my RAM from Crucial - based on tons of recommendations here at HTF - and am extremely happy with the whole process. Very competitive pricing, too.
    Jon

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Going to Crucial is usually a good idea other then they dont make RDRAM chips so they wont sell them. You will be looking at Rambus memory PC800 most likely in that computer and it will need to go in pairs. Your motherboard most likely has 4 slots with 2 already filled. As stated above make sure you read your manual carefully to make sure that you are getting memory that will work with your system. There are 3 different speeds of RD Ram PC600, PC800, & PC1056 though Dell has not started to use the PC1056 at least not unless its been in the last month.

KyleS

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I already tried the Crucial website and yes they don't sell RD Ram. The speed I need is PC 800 and I think I'll have to look in a B&M store. Thanks though I know now to get 2 128 sticks instead of 1 256 stick.

Update: This RD Ram is harder to find than I thought. I went to a few places today and nobody carries it. Maybe I"ll run through the phone book calling more specialized stores. A store that I went to could order it in for me ($85.00 for 1 128 MB stick).

8. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance