What's new

what should I ask for my used set? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have a 1999 model mitsubishi 45" silver series, it's in great shape but I bought a new 55" to replace it. I don't know what to sell the damn thing for, I ran an ad in the paper at 500 bucks but the response has been less than impressive.
A coworker offered me 350 for it, but that seems a little low, or am I expecting too much?
here's what she looks like, terrible pic.
www.onlinemac.com/users/philip/tv.jpg

it's not an HDTV set, which I think hurts me a lot right now. But it's still a great set with a lot of use left I think.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Not to lower your spirits, but yes. Among HT enthusiasts it's an axiom that there's no such thing as a "good deal" when it comes to used displays -- especially RPTVs, which wear out faster than their direct-view counterparts. In addition, it's an NTSC-only model with no widescreen capability in an era when DTV and DVD are controlling the dialogue and pointing toward the future.

Your coworker's offer of $350 seems generous. I'd take it. Beats having to find some way of disposing of the set.

Dan M

Second Unit
$350 sounds very reasonable for that set.

I'm going to be selling a Panasonic 56" HD ready widescreen soon and I doubt I'll get $800 for it. It's only 4 years old. I'm a little embarrassed to say how much I paid for it.:b

time to go front projection......;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
No, front PJ isn't for me. I tried it for a day and promptly bought a new mitsu RPTV and love it. Wish it was a DLP or LCD, but those are just too much right now.

I helped him load up the TV tonight, glad it found a home, it's still a pretty good old set.

Bob_Bo

Agent
I'm almost in the same situation. An option that I'm considering is donating my old set to a hospice, half-way house, etc.

The tax benefits will exceed what I could sell the unit for outright and I get to feel good, knowing it will be appreciated.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I just upgraded to a Sanyo Z2 projector with a 104" screen and sold my 4 yr old 61" Hitachi Ultravision(not HD) for $500.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
The $350 sounds pretty good for the 42" set that isn't WS. There aren't that many analog sets at dealers these days, but a buyer would be able to get a brand new 36" direct view for around $500. You might want to check with a dealer you trust to get another opinion (OOPS, sorry -- I missed the line in your post where you had sold it).

I got $775 for my 57" Pioneer analog RPTV bought in late 1998, but it was widescreen and still had a great picture. It was a great DVD-watching machine, but I was ready to move on to digital. Dealers told me I shouldn't have a problem getting the $825 I initially asked, but I just wanted $750 plus the cost of the ad and the asking price allowed me to deal with a buyer who wanted to negotiate price. I had it advertised for about 3 weeks when it sold (local weekly "trader" with no cost for the ad until it sells).

I really thought I might have to go lower, but I probably would have waited another year to upgrade if I hadn't sold it for what I did. I'm really glad it sold because I am blown away by my new HDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks