What Should I Add Next???

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KevinAl, Oct 9, 2006.

1. KevinAl

KevinAl Auditioning

Hey everyone.
    Well, I've survived the first year and a half in my new home and it's time to start upgrading my "working man's" media room. I figured since my wife stopped talking about a divorce, it was time to add some more! Just kidding ~ she hated the initial cost, but it's her favorite room in the house too! I've got about $5,000 to play with and I'm not sure of the best place to put it. My initial thoughts are upgrading projectors and should I, or shouldn't I Blu Ray ~ PS3?? The system doesn't suck by any means - hence the name "working man's" media room. Could it be better, absolutely. So where will I see the biggest difference? Where will my uneducated guests see the biggest difference? I'm a rookie at this so go gentle. I look forward to the input.

Thanks,
    Kevin

SYSTEM -
    Optoma H30 DLP Projector
    Harman Kardon AVR435 Receiver ~ 7.1 Channel 65W X 7
    Harman Kardon DVD31 DVD Player
    JBL E100 3-Way Floor Speakers w/ Dual 10” (Front Speakers X 2)
    JBL EC35 3-Way Center Channel w/ Dual 5” (Center Speaker X 1)
    JBL E10 2-Way Wall Mount Speakers w/ Dual 4” (Surround/Rear X 3 – 6.1 Setup)
    JBL E250 12” Powered Subwoofer 250W (Subs X 2)
    100” Da-Lite Cinema Contour® Screen
    Logitech Harmony 768 Remote Control

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

On a $5,000 budget here is what I would upgrade:

1. New subwoofer: SVS PB12-Plus, $900
    2. New projector: Optoma HD72, $1,500 (Amazon)
    3. New screen: Da-Lite 1.78:1 projection screen, $1,200 - I'm assuming your current screen is 1.33:1
    4. New HD Player: Toshiba HD-A1, $400 (Amazon)

Total: $4,000

This will give you the biggest impact for your dollar. I haven't auditionned JBL speakers, so I'm afraid I'm not the right one to make recommendations for speaker upgrades.

My next upgrade would probably be the receiver. The Denon AVR-3806 ($900) would be my first pick for home theatre within your budget.

What are the dimensions of your room?

3. KevinAl

KevinAl Auditioning

Alon,
    Thanks for the input. The room is 15'6" X 20'6", with a mini bar area in the back end of the room. So useable viewing area is really 15'6" X 16'6". On the Toshiba, HD over Blu Ray? I haven't really dug into it to see all of the pro's and con's of each. I am impressed with Optoma's products for the prices.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

No question I would pick HD DVD over Blu-Ray today. So would the majority of informed consumers (and most of this forum). But tomorrow is anybody's guess. For $400 you can't really go wrong - the HD-A1 is still a brilliant upconverting DVD Player, and has exceptional audio capabilities, so even if HD DVD were to lose the format war you still have an excellent DVD Player.