What should Criterion do next

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald W, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

It's been a long time since I've posted on here...and it's still seems that Criterion is still at the top of their game with great DVDs...and since Criterion hasn't done a chat over at HTF in a while hopfuly they will read this and take some of this imput in from us...What movies would we like to see Criterion get ahold of and get out on DVD-

Trainspoting- I'm still holding out for a SE of this movie...Criterion had the rights to the SE laser but I think Miramax will do the SE DVD if they ever get around to it
    Lost Highway- USA films and Criterion seemed to do ok on there treatment of Traffic so let Criterion handle Lost if USA can't get around to it
    Wild At Heart- I don't know who owns the rights now to this film but it would be great to have this film out sometime soon on DVD
    A Nine Inch Nails dvd set of all of their music videos with extras
    antyhing esle anyone can think of

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I've said it before (and emailed Jon Mulvany about it), but I'll say it again:
    Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz.
    I don't care how many discs it takes; I don't care what it costs.

3. Donald W

Criterion is the perfect company for anything of Fassbinder's...I forgot to add anything Pasolini to that list...I hope that one day MGM will get of their asses and let Criterion have back Salo or put out their own DVD of it and the rest of the Pasolini libary that they now own...

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Godard's Band Of Outsiders
    Von Trier's The Idiots and Breaking The Waves
    Kieslowski's The Decalogue
    Jeff

5. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

I think '02 has been an off-year for Criterion, following an outstanding '01.

I hope that the new Sight and Sound poll released last month (done once a decade) helps focus Criterion on what I'd like to think should be job one for them: release the best films of all time and do justice by them.

With that in mind, I hope they're scanning the Sight and Sound list and prioritizing Rules of the Game, lots of Ozu and Mizoguchi, some Bresson, the proposed Eisenstein: Silent Years box, La Dolce Vita, more Bunuel, some Ophuls (could we have at least one from Criterion please?), Ikiru, and A Canterbury Tale.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The Thief and the Cobbler for Miramax.

Disney is putting a lot into the reconstruction/restoration/completion of the film, but this is a film right up Criterion's alley. Think Brazil, but 10x worse.

I also think the Paramount (with Universal) Marx Brothers films would be good Criterion-ized.

7. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    How about more British Hitchcock's

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
    Young and Innocent
    The Secret Agent
    Sabotage

8. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

The Wajda trilogy ('A Generation', 'Kanal' and 'Ashes And Diamonds') would be a good start. Also, I hope they'll continue their Bunuel releases with 'Tristana' and 'Phantom Of Liberty'.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I couldn't disagree more.

As far as the future, it obviously all depends on rights, but I'd love to see them do justice to

The African Queen
    It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Robert Harris restoration)
    Bringing Up Baby
    Ninotchka
    Up in Arms
    Hail the Conquering Hero
    The Palm Beach Story
    Safety Last
    Twentieth Century
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    Top Hat
    Laura
    Out of the Past
    This Gun for Hire
    The Killers
    The Blue Dahlia
    Lifeboat
    Suspicion
    To Have and Have Not
    To Be or Not to Be (1942)
    The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
    The Ghost & Mrs. Muir

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

It's time for Paramount to ease up on their licensing restrictions and once again allow the Criterion Collection edition of "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" to be released.

-Lyle J.P.

11. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Kieslowski's The Double Life of Veronique is not available on DVD anywhere in the world, as far as I can tell.

Criterion would do this masterpiece justice. Some of his other Polish films (No End, Blind Chance, Camera Buff) would make a wonderful series.

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

How about a Canadian film?: Why Shoot The Teacher

13. Donald W

I hope that they read this list cause there are a lot of great films that need there help that are listed here....Bratz thanks for listing Rules of the Game cause Criterion had the rights to the LD so I don't know why they have put off a DVD of this film...Doogan over at The Digital Bits put up a great list of films that aren't on DVD today, or need to be reissued... some of them I think Criterion should get ahold of....so here goes, I hope they read this.....

Breaking the Waves- they had the rights to the LD, but Artsian I think has the rights now...not to sure
    El Topo- Never has been out on VHS or DVD legaly in this country, have no idea who owns the rights anymore
    The Game- was supost to have been out last year, I don't know if MGM has the rights or USA films has them
    Holy Mountain- same as El Topo, I have a bad LD trasfer from Japan
    Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy- I don't think that Miramax is going to do anything with these films anytime soon
    The Magnificent Ambersons (Wells)- perfect for a SE with a good doc on the lost parts of the film
    Napoleon (1927)- I don't think anyone has any plans for this film also...A nice box set with all the versions would be great
    Ran- only Criterion should be able to handle this film
    Santa Sangre- the NC-17 version
    Zulu- shouldn't be hard since it's in public domain, a nice new trasfer would be great

14. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

next criterion:
    THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
    i'm not even joking
    this would be really cool if they considered it

15. Donald W

is the Image DVD SE of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE that bad????

16. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would love Criterion to put out an edition for two (2) films:
    Irma Vep and
    El Norte
    Bruce

17. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

Sling Blade
    Indiana Jones Trilogy (we can dream can't we [​IMG])

18. Rain

Rain Producer

Bruce, I actually submitted El Norte as a suggestion to them a while ago.
    I forgot to mention...I'd love to see them do some more old Hollywood stuff ala My Man Godfrey. Maybe even some old B&W musicals that are pretty much ignored by all the other studios.
    How about the original version of Tuck Everlasting? I've heard it's pretty good and I think it was an independant, so they might be able to get their hands on it...wouldn't be a bad idea since a new film of the same story is coming out soon.

19. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

george,
    Well, I guess it's a pretty subjective issue![​IMG]
    On a less subjective level, I see it as a down year as measured by sheer quantity of releases - I count 41 for '01, and 30 for '02 (I assume they're about done for the year after Monterey Pop, and I'm counting boxes as one release).
    On a vastly more subjective level, I find when I count releases I own or have significant interest in owning, I find lots more in '01 than '02. For me, I was struck by:
    '01
    Eisenstein the sound years
    Black Narcissus
    I Know Where I'm Going
    Do The Right Thing
    L'Aventurra
    The Lady Eve
    Spartacus
    The Scarlet Empress
    My Man Godfrey
    Rififi
    The Hidden Fortress
    Sullivan's Travels
    Billy Liar
    Grey Gardens
    Haxan
    Notorious
    Rebecca
    8 1/2
    That Obscure Object of Desire
    as well as stuff I doubt I'll buy but recognize as important like the Dreyer box, the three Hulot films, Cries and Whispers.
    '02 on the other hand:
    Children of Paradise
    Wild Strawberries
    In The Mood For Love
    Rashomon
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    Red Beard
    Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
    and that's about it - and not a whole lot that I don't personally want but see the overwhelming significance of - Contempt, maybe the Rene Clairs. The year started well, then went thud for me in a hurry.
    Interestingly, I've noticed that I seem to appreciate Criterion's releases more in odd-numbered years than even: I liked '99 and '01 a lot, was left a little underwhelmed by '00 and '02. '98 is an incomplete grade to me - their first year, and not even a full one, undercut a little by so many titles going OOP so fast. Given all that, I guess I'm hoping '03 will continue the trend and please me greatly!
    George - I guess I interpret from your reply that you thought '02 a better than average year for Criterion - which titles are setting the year apart for you.
    Lots of good things on your wish list too, though outside of the two Sturges they look like real longshots for Criterion to get a crack at.

20. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Darrell,

I don't even have a list of the releases by year, so some that I'm thinking of as 2002, may have actually been 2001. But for me (and I suspect many will disagree, but that's OK), just Hopscotch itself is worth the price of admission for the Criterion Collection in 2002. However, looking at your list I do see a better overall selection in 2001, and admit I thought a couple of those Hitchcocks were more recent than that.