What SHIVA alignments/enclosures/tunings have you had the best luck with?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm looking to build my first DIY sub using a used Adire Shiva driver ($75) and a 200W plate amp i happen to have. I'm planning on building a traditional ported box in the 7.5 ft^3 region and a tuning as close to 20hz as i can get.

That said, what alignments/enclosures/tunings have you other Shiva owners had the best luck with?

Also, will an enclosure that large and a tuning that low kill my SPL?

Thanks

2. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

7.5 cubic feet is, in my opinion, too big for this driver. I'm very happy with my EBS shiva (5 cubic feet tuned to 18 Hz). If you have room for an enclosure that big, I'd recommend trying to find a used tempest for $85. If you like to listen LOUD, it will handle it better than the shiva anyway.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Since reading the white sheet on vented Shiva enclosures, i've narrowed it down to the EBS or SBB4 enclosures. Does any one have an opinion in favor of one or the other? According to the white sheet, the SBB4 has a slight boost in the ~35Hz area that gives it a bit more punch, which i think i would like for HT purposes, while the EBS extends lower, is flatter, and has a bit more SPL.
    Size isn't really an issue. The white sheet recommends a flared port, but says that you can use strait pipe by adding 5" to the length they specify. Only problem is i can't find the diameter of their recommended ports or what diameter to use in strait pipe. Does anyone know the diameter/lengths i should use for both the EBS and SBB4 enclosure? I'd rather use strait pipe right now to keep costs down, and possibly replace it with a flared port later.
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

FYI: PE sells the FP4 for $13.90. Might be worth it. (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=117898&DID=7).
    If you run Windows, you can grab WinISD (http://www.linearteam.org/winisd.html) and use that to calculate straight port dimensions.
    1. Run WinISD, and start a new project with the "Avatar Shiva 12" (Placement: normal, Box type: vented).
    2. In the "box" tab of the window that pops up, specify the enclosure volume and tuning frequency.
    3. In the "vents" tab, enter your vent diameter. The value in the "vent length" box will be updated. If you're using very thick material for the port tube, be sure that you enter the INSIDE diameter.