What settings should I use on my subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Cruz, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

My 12 inch sub comes with a freq. crossover dial and a phase dial. The freq is 40-120hz. Where should I set it?

Also, it comes with a phase switch, and it says on the manual that its setting depends on where I placed it on the room, with is in the left front corner, on the left of my system. How do I know which settings to put it to?

Thanks!

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

You don't specify what kind of system you have. But, assuming the sub is hooked up to the preamp subwoofer output of a Dolby Digital receiver, you should:

a) turn the freq. knob on the back of the sub all the way up (or bypass the sub's own crossover entirely if you can).

b) Set all of your front, center, and surround speaker to SMALL. Set the subwoofer to ON or whatever setting on your receiver gives you subwoofer output, but not the settings like "PlUS" or "MAX" that send bass to the front speakers AND the sub.

c) Use the receiver's crossover at 80 or 100 Hz.

In 99.9% of the installations, the phase switch on your sub should set to the 0 or "normal" position.

3. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

in regards to this question, i have a Sony strde-575 receiver. i use the pre-out on the receiver to the sub. i don't think i have a crossover setting on the receiver itself. all i have is bass and treble settings and also a built in equalizer to adjust the bass and treble further. is there a set crossover built into the receiver or should i then use the freq. knob on the sub. thanks

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

There is a crossover in the receiver but it is fixed at 80 or 100 Hz.

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

A lot of lower end Sony's have a user adjustable crossover. I know the 845 does, so maybe the 575 does as well. Check your manual. The Sony manual can be hard to decipher so you could also check the setup menu on the front of the unit to see if you have this feature.