What setting for speaker size?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Jac, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Chris Jac

Chris Jac Auditioning

I need some advice on seting up...

My question is that there are settings on my receiver where you select your speaker size and I don't know which one I need to select since speaker "size" is relative to the user. What I consider "large" may be "small" to someone else.

I have a sub that says it goes to 20hz to run with my system so I have selected for my LFE to go to my sub only. The receiver says that any LFE below 90hz will be directed to my LFE selection (sub only) if I select "small" as the speaker size

The specs (on the low end) on my speakers are as follows:

Fronts - 35hz (I selected the size as "large")
    Center - 70hz (I selected the size as "small")
    Rear - 40hz (I selected the size as "large")

Are these reasonable selections or should I just be selecting all speakers as "small"? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Generally, if you have a capable sub, all speakers should be set to "small". The terms "large" and "small" are a bit misleading, because they don't refer to actual size. "Large" simply means that the speaker is capable of reproducing the entire frequency range, while "small" means that it isn't. Since none of your speakers is rated down to 20Hz, they could all be technically classified as "small".

Routing the lower frequences to a sub specifically designed to handle them frees up your other speakers to do the best they can with the remainder of the audio spectrum.

Of course, it never hurts to try different settings with the same material and see which one sounds better to your ear in your particular space.

M.

3. Chris Jac

Chris Jac Auditioning

Thanks for the fast reply Michael. That's what I was thinking. I'll be setting all to "small" to check it out. Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard a movie with the rear sound going down to 20 hz or so? Seems like you always hear breaking glass, richocheting bullets, water dripping and the like.

Going out and getting a sound level meter, This is getting fun. In your personal opinion, anything wrong with Sound & Vision's calibration DVD? Avia and Home Essentials is nearly impossible to locate in a store...

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris,
    The Haunting DTS is known to have sub 20hz bass in all channels. I believe the TPM LD was noted as having bass as low as 5hz in all channels.
    You might find that the question you asked about large/small is actually an issue of much debate, even among long time members.
    All large/small means is if bass is rerouted to the sub. The large/small label is a bit of an oddity- as really all it is asking is: Do you want this speaker to get full range signal, or reroute bass to the sub?
    I personally prefer all bass to be rerouted to the sub (as I don't believe any speaker can handle ref level signal at 35hz without a dedicated amplifier for lows)... but some others here prefer to set to large. The issue of how you use your system (what percent for music, what percent for movies) als weighs in- as most find the LARGE setting a must for 2 channel music.
    As Michael said, trust your ears and go with what makes your hair stand on end...
    -V

5. JoeyS

JoeyS Auditioning

i also have an issue with "large" settings, i know bass is NON directional but it seems a little one sided (the side were the sub is)when i put my subs to SMALL. however, when i put my fronts to large (8" Cerwin Vegas) the bass seems to come more from the tv (centered). Also when i set the fronts to small i don't seem to get ALL the range. for example i play a video game on the PS2 the gunshots seem hollow with no bass, when i put my fronts to large i get tons of bass on the gunshots and the same bass for other sound effects no matter whether i set to small or large, my sub is set to MAX frequency i believe 160 MHz

any help?

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Joey,
    There is no need to spam the board with 4 copies of the same question. Post your question once, and people will help you.
    The answer you seek seems to be the exact same answer i gave above:
    As Michael said, trust your ears and go with what makes your hair stand on end...
    If you prefer your system at large, run your system at large.
    -Vince