What's new

What setting do you listen to your DVD's on? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Count me in for no DSP. (except for midnight listening when people are asleep :D )

List one receiver that has DD & DTS & has true 5.1 DSP modes (which virtually all do)that turn the sound into 2.0. Just one
I am also awaiting the answer to this one, I don't believe that certain receivers process the sound the way Nick and Trevor say. I have not read anything that would indicate that this happens at all and yet the assertion is that *most (entry-level)receivers* do this?!?

I know a lot of receivers (even stereos/boom boxes) have different DSP modes for 2-channel sound. BUT these DSP modes tht are designed for 2-channel sources shouldn't work with DD and DTS. (i.e. try selecting DPL2 on any receiver while playing a DTS or DD 5.1 source)

TrevorST

Stunt Coordinator
OK... I tried not to reply again to this thread but feel I must. There are very few receivers that have true 5 chl DSP. I know that lexicon and some of the higher end HK units do, can not speak for the Sony that Jeff listed, but I doubt it.
I own or have bought for my kids a Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and Harmon Kardon in the last couple of years. None of these units have 5 chl DSP modes, they all use a 2.0 signal when in a DSP mode other than DD or DTS. In addition I have also set up a dozen or more systems for other people and have never seen one receiver that had DSP modes that did not use either a mono or stereo input. I also checked multiple manufactures web sites and could not find any divinitive evidence that any low to mid priced receiver had multi channel DSP processing. Now I ask Jeff to show me one reasonable priced receiver that has this capability.....

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
This Yamaha RXV340 is a $250 reciever (Ugh why did they change the color) This is a link to the PDF of their brochure on it. Surround wise other than the Phantom 6.1 mode its the same as they've had for several years. It talks about the surround modes. And you can select DD or DTS in the spectical mode( there are several others I just used that as an example) and its still 5.1

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...nfo/rxv340.pdf

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to agree with Jeff unless Trevor or Nick can provide a specific brand and model to justify their claims.
I've never heard of using 2.0 when in a DSP mode..:frowning:

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and never use any other mode other than Dolby Digital - Normal and DTS -Digital Surround Normal modes. Each has an "Enhanced" mode but adds too many unnecessary frequencies to the sound and bloats it too much for my taste.
I leave it on Normal and the sound is untampered with my opinion.

Clean and natural sounding without any others frequencies thrown in to mud up the sound.

btw, I'm using my DSPA1 as my processor and outboarding it to a OUTLAW 750 .

Later!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks