what set top box for cable hdtv?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Henry_P, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Henry_P

Henry_P Auditioning

Feb 8, 2004

I just bought a 30XBR910 and need an hdtv tuner. Now, I am a little confused as to what kind of tuner I will need. I've read about the Samsung SIR-T151 and it seems like it is only for over the air broadcasts. What tuner do I need, and can you mention specific model numbers? Thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention that I will be ordering hdtv from Cox and I assume that it will connect by some kind of cable
  2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    90% of the time, the cable company will supply the box. The box you cite is for over the air, the cable companies use a different tuning method than OTA, so it will not help you. Check with Cox, they can help you out.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    Your cable company should provide you with a box that supports their HD service. Very few of the existing HD tuners available for purchase work with cable HD service, which is different than over the air HDTV/DTV. This should change over the next year with new products because a standard specification for HD over cable has finally been set. The initial models announced appear to be one-way devices, though, so they will not work with cable pay-per-view HD services.

You are correct that the Samsung SIR-T151 is for broadcast HDTV/DTV (ATSC) signals only. It will not even receive standard analog TV (NTSC) or cable TV broadcasts.
  4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Apr 15, 1999
    The cable company will provide the necessary box, for which there is a monthly fee which is usually around $5.

One or two companies tried requiring their customers to purchase the boxes, but I think that all went away a couple of years ago.

The box you mention, as well as any other ota box available for purchase, will not tune the cable HD signal if the cable company uses the QAM transmission method as almost all do or if it's scrambled as almost all are.

I'd suggest you call Cox and inquire of them what box they provide and how much the monthly fee is.