What's new

What series have you tried on DVD? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
What is at least one series that you have tried on DVD by purchasing one of the DVD releases, and what was the result? Did you decide to purchase any more of it, or did you decide to stop where you were?

Earlier this year, I went to the Best Buy in Greenville with my brother Mike and his wife Jen. I purchased up two seasons' worth of "Lucy," because I was interested in trying it out based on its reputation as a classic comedy of the '50's. I got through the first couple of seasons, but then after that, I decided not to purchase any more. I reasoned to myself that since Lucy and the gang would start going on the road around 1954, I didn't think that it would hold my interest. Others might have gone all the way (and if they did, more power to them), but for me, two seasons' worth was more than enough.

On the other hand, I purchased the first season's worth of "Hardcastle and McCormick," the ABC series starring Brian Keith and Daniel Hugh-Kelly, and I saw the first season's worth through. It was so good (better than I thought) that I purchased up the second one. That one was just as great as the first one, and earlier this year, I purchased the third and final season to finish the series. "Hardcastle" is the only one of the series in my DVD lineup that I have actually completed, because to me, it was a series that, throughout its run, really held my interest.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I did this same thing with Combat!. I bought both volumes of Season 1. I watched those and was amazed at how good it was. I ended up buying the entire series. The 5th and final season wasn't as good as the rest of the show, but it had it's moments.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
i did that with alias, bought season 2 but refused to watch it until i bought season 1 which i am watching now and love it so much am gonna buy the other 3 seasons soon. I often buy season 1 of shows I have never seen or only seen an episode or 2 of and usually end up buying what I can of the show whether it is complete or not

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Glad that you enjoyed "Combat!" It seems that each one of us has completed one series, as have a lot of other people. What led me to enjoy "Hardcastle" was, for one thing, the red "Coyote" sportscar, and it was also the action and stunts, as well as the general premise of the series-- a retired judge teams up with a race-car driver to capture criminals that got off on technicalities. This was one series, I believe, that got knocked out too early after only 3 seasons' worth from 1983-86. That said, thanks for your response.

BTW, what was it that led you to enjoy "Combat!"?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
For me, I've made several blind purchases that I've then continued with (or am planning on continuing):
* The Invaders- 'nuff said
* The Streets of San Francisco- chemistry of the leads kept me coming back
* Mannix- so far so great
* 24- first season was good, but I'm not sure what season to continue with since I've heard season 2 is not so good

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Kenneth,

Glad you liked Combat! That one's probably my #1 show. I was a kid when I watched that one in the 60's. I agree about S5. The one color season was, imo, not as good as the B/W seasons 1-4. Needless to say, I bought all of the individual sets as they were released. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to make the decision to upgrade to the complete series set since it contains the same "Extras" as the individual sets.

Ben,

From your thread I'm assuming that you want to know what shows we "blind-bought" Season 1, and continued with the remaining series. After looking at my collection, I could only come up with 1 show, "The A Team", where I'd never seen any of the series and took a chance with S1. I bought all of the releases and I'm currently viewing S4. The show was a surprise "hit" for me.

I also blind-bought the MacGYVER S1 set and really like that one so far. I'd never seen this show before the DVD release. I bought S2 but have not bought further releases yet since I'm still viewing S1.

dancingwater

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I brought 24 season 1 and finished that shy of 2 days. At that point i was hooked into the CTUniverse. Got Season 2-5 on ebay and devoured those within weeks then i got season 6 from Sams Club. Being prepared that Season 6 was the weakest it was still great T.V/DVD entertainment. I lost a LOT of sleep during that phrase.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

That, yes, but what I was also wondering is if there are any for which, after purchasing one or a few, you decided not to purchase any further releases for whatever reason-- i.e. failed to hold interest, bad picture quality, bad sound quality, etc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
During a "Black Friday" Sale in 2006 a Retailer had Season 1 of Charmed on sale for $9.99 so I picked it up as a "Blind Buy" Watching it for the first time I liked it, so I eventually bought the other seven seasons after they made it to the Bargain Bin. :D

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
i tried
brave starr
gave me a break
the surfms
spider-man 1970's cartoon
Rengaed
Early edition i seen most of them from tv. so i know i would like it
the incdaible hulk. i seen most of them. but i hadn't seen all of them. i got season 1 thur 4 on dvd.
Smallville I seen rerunes so i brought the first seasons. i liked it i brought season 1 thur 4. i hadn't watched all of them yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think S2 is one of 24's best years. S3 starts out weak but the last 1/3 of the episodes are some of the best of the series. S4 and S5 are very, very good. And, unfortunately, S6 didn't live up to most fans' expectations but it has some really great moments and some... less than great moments.

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator

What I liked about Combat! was the stories revolved around different squad members. It wasn't the same story every week. Sometimes a story idea would be recycled, but with different members of the squad. I really liked out Hanley was the brains and more of a stealth/recon episode character and Saunders was the action character. I prefer the Hanley episodes, but having episodes with Saunders was refreshing sometimes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have discovered many shows on DVD...

- 24 (I first saw this one on DVD... and I was quick to not only buy the next set... but also became one of the shows I never miss when it airs!)
- Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (Watched the first two discs of the set so far... loving it!)
- Alias (Love it! After the first season was watched I went straight to my computer and ordered Season 2!)
- Arrested Development (A Friend gave me the complete series [all 3 sets] a good comedy... but I wouldn't say a favorite)
- The Buccaneers (Only watched 3 eps so far... but really enjoying it)
- Burns and Allen (Classic comedy that I have 2 cheap best of discs... would love to see more... hilarious show!)
- Cleopatra 2525 (Cheesy Sci-Fi Fun!... what more can you ask?)
- Dexter (I was hooked after the very first episode! after watching season 1 on DVD... I went right to Showtime On-Demand and watched Season 2)
- Dinotopia: The Series (Unwatched)
- Dracula: The Series (A fun Saturday morning show... was geared towards kids... but I enjoyed it too!)
- The Ellen Show (Ellen's Second Attempt on a sitcom... decent Show... but see why it only lasted 1 season)
- Firefly (Awesome Show! Ended so much earlier then it should have!)
- Frasier (Never seen till brother bought me the first season... started a little rocky for me.. but grew on me. Now want to get more seasons!)
- Game Over (decent cartoon... but not surprised it got canceled)
- Good Morning World (a sitcom from the 60's with Goldie Hawn... was fun... but one of the most aggravating themes I ever had to sit through!)
- Grey's Anatomy (I really enjoy this one too!)
- Harsh Realm (A really cool army/war/sci-fi series created by Chris Carter)
- Hunter (Great cop show... a shame only 3 seasons was released)
- Kindred: The Embrace (Vampire/Mob series... only lasted 8 episodes... but very enjoyable)
- Kingdom Hospital (Limited Series by Stephen King... only meant to last 1 season... starts off slow..but I ended up loving it!)
- Kolchak: The Night Stalker (Classic Horror series... Watched the first disc so far... really enjoying it!)
- Lost (All I can say is... I Love It!)
- Masters of Horror (One of my new favorite shows!... only watch on DVD)
- Mutant X (Good series... need to change my volumes for season sets!... If I could find them!)
- My Hero (a hilarious sitcom from the UK that I would love to get every episode of!)
- Nowhere Man (Watched first disc so far... Enjoying it so far.)
- One Step Beyond (A great classic series similar to The Twilight Zone)
- Planet of the Apes (only watched Disc 1 so far... but really enjoying it)
- Picket Fences (This one is a strange one for me... I find it way too preachy... but at the same time I love every second of it... and hope to see the rest of the series released!)
- Point Pleasant (Started off slow for me... ended up being a good series)
- S.W.A.T. (Classic cop show... really enjoyed it... wish they would release season 2!)
- Scrubs (Hilarious hospital sitcom)
- Sherlock Holmes (Really enjoyable classic mystery series)
- Sledge Hammer! (only watched 1 disc so far... early to judge but looks pretty funny)
- Sports Night (Was probably my first TV Series Blind Buy... really enjoyed it)
- Stacked (Cheesy... but I was able to enjoy it)
- Surface (Only watched the first disc... so far having a hard time getting into it.)
- Tabitha (Spin-off of Bewitched... really enjoyed it)
- Twilight Zone - original (Awesome classic show! Loving every minute of it!)
- Without a Trace (This is a pretty good crime drama that I am looking forward to checking out more seasons of)
- V: The Complete Series (Unwatched)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks