What's new

What Sci-Fi Book Series would YOU want to see on the Big Screen? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
To get this a little bit back on topic, thinking about cyberpunk and adaptations... I am not certain if this book could lend itself to adaptation, but I'll mention Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash.

Nowadays, I think a more current update of "Snow Crash" would work better as a sci-fi comedy / satire type of tv show.

Dunno about a movie.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Growing up, I loved to read various authors and genres, but I always came back to Harry Harrison and his universe of the Stainless Steel Rat.
And I still find it hard to believe that no one ever thought about taking these fun books and creating some kick ass movies. I can understand that back in the day, special effects were both limited and super expensive. But as the decades rolled on the technology caught up with imagination and pocketbook, it seems someone is asleep at the wheel ?!!
Any of his books would have been great action movies, and enough memerable characters for a multiude of sequels. I searched for any mention of this topic but came up empty...don't tell me that I'm the only one that thought of this possibility? The "Slipper Jim" series is ripe for the right company to do it right...I still remember when outfits like Golan Globus putting out the comic book Conan...as long as Arnold never opened his mouth, he was perfect....but none of Robert E Howards books were consulted and it showed!! The same thing happened with Solomon Kane, again they never went deeper than comic books to plumb any info and tossing aside Howards first and most popular hero, way before Conan!! And again the opportutiy was squandered !!!
Still if someone could go back to the original stories and source materials (NOT THE COMIC BOOKS) and actually do the work, these Harrison stories would be amazing!! What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 619ynBB0WmL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    619ynBB0WmL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 16
  • the-stainless-steel-rat-goes-to-hell-1.jpg
    the-stainless-steel-rat-goes-to-hell-1.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 14
  • the-stainless-steel-rat-joins-the-circus-1.jpg
    the-stainless-steel-rat-joins-the-circus-1.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 15

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Larry Nivens's "Known Space" series could make for a good series of half hour shows.
Agreed, that would be awesome as either TV or movie. But the common thread with many of these series is the total lack of pearing into the original materials (books) and relying on the watered down rewrites via comic books or graphis novels of those characters....and it shows every time!!

All the elements that drew us to the books is lost along the way, I know that books are very subjective. And those universes play out differently within each of our minds, but still...you'd think that there would be some way to better represent the authors intent to the screen, right?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My favourite author has always been Robert Heinlein so some of his other books. Starship Troopers has been filmed (reasonable in my view) but there are many others eg. Glory Road (who would play Oscar, Star & Rufo), Methuselah's Children, The Door into Summer, his early future history novels, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Some of his characters appear in several novels so storylines could be combined/simplified.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
For me Harrison's universe caters so well, very much in the same vein as the Guardians of the Galaxy mix of personalities and fast and hard action....perfect for movies or TV series!!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
A couple of other suggestions, Lensman series by E.E. 'Doc' Smith and various space opera novels by A.E. van Vogt (Space Beagle, Rull, Rogue Ship). Also many books from the bibliography of Asimov and Clarke would make great films.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Would love to see the cult classic "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. Not necessarily a big screen special effects film but very filmable. Would have a strong cross-over appeal to non-genre audiences as well. Couldn't put it down when I read it.

Listened to the audio version last year and loved it.

The other book I’d like to see is The Mote In God’s Eye.
It’s stand alone but apparently, and I just found this out moments ago while looking up Mote this is part of a huge series of books.

Doubtful Mote could be filmed anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks