What's new

What Sci-Fi Book Series would YOU want to see on the Big Screen? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I loved many sci-fi authors over the years, since seeing Foundation on Apple+ it brought to mind other book series that have bee over looked. Like Phillip Joe Farmers Ringworld series, or Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series. And one of my favorite lost series that todaye could be done quite well is the Songmaster series by Orson Scott Card. I'd like to know from you folks, what series would you love to see up there on the big screen, on your favorite format, and why that perticular series over another one?

Attachments

• Ringworld(1stEd).jpg
    Ringworld(1stEd).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 51
  • the-stainless-steel-rat-joins-the-circus-1.jpg
    the-stainless-steel-rat-joins-the-circus-1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 30275604849.jpg
    30275604849.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 50

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, I bought a paperback of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series in a charity shop only the other day (memories of the sixties), & then there's his Deathworld series. I'm surprised no one has had a go at Philip Jose Famer's Riverworld books (I know there was a god awful series on the SyFy channel), saying that, I thought the first two books were great, but then it lost its way. With all the fantasy stuff being made, a big surprise is the lack of Fritz Leiber's, Fafhrd & the Gray Mouser series of heroic fantasy books, beautifully written. There's a few others I could think of, but I doubt anyone here has read them.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
They filmed Riverworld twice! And they messed it up both times.
Ringworld should be the first release, because it introduces the first set of characters to the storyline. Doing Riverworld is like doing the Return of the Jedi before New Hope....and yeah, I agree the Riverworlds looked like comic book versions, shallow and confused.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It was made into a decent movie but I’d still like to see Relic made into a limited streaming series, and include Pendergast this time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ringworld should be the first release, because it introduces the first set of characters to the storyline. Doing Riverworld is like doing the Return of the Jedi before New Hope....and yeah, I agree the Riverworlds looked like comic book versions, shallow and confused.
I think you're getting your series mixed up. "Ringworld" is from Larry Niven. "Riverworld" is from Philip José Farmer. They are completely different stories.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think you're getting your series mixed up. "Ringworld" is from Larry Niven. "Riverworld" is from Philip José Farmer. They are completely different stories.
yeah you're right it is Larry Niven, my bad!! That Ringworld is the one I'm talking about...it's been a while since I've read it but the story still sticks on my mind...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think Dark Matter could make a great movie

I think The Calculating Stars aka The Lady Astronaut series, being character-driven, alt-history, space race scifi, could be a great streaming series a la For All Mankind.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Many years ago I would have answered with William Gibson's Neuromancer. But the aesthetic of that novel, and its genre, has been utilized so heavily over the years by so much entertainment that it no longer holds that appeal for me, as an adaptation. (I still really love the novel.) As an aside, Netflix's adaptation of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon was an adaptation of a work that sort of feels like a cousin to Gibson's Cyberspace Trilogy.

My second answer would be any of the Culture Novels by Iain M. Banks. I've read that Amazon will be turning one or more of these novels into a television series. I first read this news some time ago and I have no idea where that project stands as of now. So, moving on.

I am honestly surprised that Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man has never been adapted. Supposedly Brian DePalma was trying to get this made. It would have been a good fit for a director like DePalma who toys with audience perception. I still think it would work really well as a feature film. Considering how many Phillip K. Dick adaptations there have been over the years, this would fit comfortably alongside those works in terms of its storyline and concepts.

Finally, I'll mention from 1967... Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light.

I haven't read a lot of SF, or anything else for that matter, in recent years; something that thinking about responses to this topic has made even clearer. I really should remedy that, but there is only so much time in the day.

- Walter.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I loved many sci-fi authors over the years, since seeing Foundation on Apple+ it brought to mind other book series that have bee over looked. Like Phillip Joe Farmers Ringworld series, or Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series. And one of my favorite lost series that todaye could be done quite well is the Songmaster series by Orson Scott Card. I'd like to know from you folks, what series would you love to see up there on the big screen, on your favorite format, and why that perticular series over another one?
Wow, I had totally missed this, as I was about to suggest Foundation.
How many of the books are they filming? And is there any way of seeing it outside of Apple+, or is it exclusive?

Another series I'd like to suggest would be Ursula K LeGuin's Earthsea, although more fantasy than SF, but after checking IMDB, I see that has also been done before, but according to the rating, not very successfully. Anybody seen it? Is it worth tracking down?

So, while I agree Gibson's Sprawl trilogy most likely would be very difficult to pull off, maybe the Bridge trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties) could work? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_trilogy
It's set in 2006, so in the future at the time it was written.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'd like to see Lord Valentine's Castle someday, but I think a miniseries or tv show might work better for it.
lvc.jpeg
valentine.jpeg

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks