What's new

What´s better for speakers (1 Viewer)

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
I want to know what is the best option. To set two speakers in one box with the double volume (for each speaker) or to take the two speakers and set them in an individual chamber for each one.

Thanks for all your replies =)

Brent_S

Second Unit
Being more specific would yield better answers. Room size, placement options, amplifier used/configuration, drivers, crossover frequency, mains speakers, etc.

Assuming you're talking about subwoofers. You'll get up to +6db (theoretical max) by placing both driver together, whether you stack two individual cabinets or use a single 2x cabinet. Individual cabinets offers you the option of distributing the drivers to tame room peaks/nulls, but you may not see as much output at the listening position as the colocated subs.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
There is little or no difference between two cabinets stacked up together and a single cabinet of the same size and shape. (as if you had removed the "common wall" between two cabinets.

Speaking from experience, two big speakers are much easier to move around than one huge speaker, though!

Smaller cabinets are probably stiffer than big ones, if you want to get picky.

Williams16

Grip
Real Name
Guillermo Bethancourt
I´m talking about speakers for audio set at 40hz low, they original came in individuals chambers with two ports each one. What I want to do is to build them a new enclosure because the old ones are being damaged. But I got the idea of set the two speakers in one box by combining the volume and the ports. I don´t know if this is ideal for the speakers, or if this will max some (db).
What do you recommend (forget movement and space) concentrate in sound development.

Thanks for your replies their are really useful.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The difference between two separate cabinets and one big one will be very nearly no difference....just build a big cabinet that looks exactly like two smaller ones side by side or stacked, and it should be fine.

Use four ports of the same dimension as the existing ports to avoid any calculating. If you want just one or two ports, then you need the new port to follow some strict guidelines (roughly speaking, the same length as the origianl ports, and the area of the new port the same as the total area of the original ports)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks