What RPTV to buy for under $1800?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Mc, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

I am currently looking for a replacement for my 42" Sony 4:3 RPTV. I am looking somewhere in the $1500 - $1800 range (the $1500 being my wifes preference). My current favorite is the Sony KP-51WS510.

I also like the Panasonic PT-53WX53, but have seen many posts about the 'Evil Pop' on this board.

Can you guys please help me out with opinions of these sets and others in this price range?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Don't take this wrong but do you have room for a Front Projector....4 models that can be bought for that price or less.

3. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

I believe I have the room, but I live in an apartment and routing the wires would be a pain.

My only concern with projectors is bulb life. This is going to be my primary tv, and a 1500 hour bulb will last about 6 months around here.

I do plan on getting a DLP projector for a dedicated home theater once we get a house next year.

Josh

4. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    I just bought a 48" Mitsubishi for 1800. Very nice set. After doing some research on the internet, I found that Mitsubishi was one of the best brands on the market.

5. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

OK, after reading the burn in thread, I'm a bit worried about the 4:3 sidebars. My wife watches a lot of regular tv, and I'm not sure how she'll adapt to stretched modes.

What brands have the best stretch mode out there?

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Pioneer, Toshiba from all the reading I have done....

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

From all the models I saw, I really like the stretchmode on the JVC48WP74..so I purchased it..[​IMG]

8. John Garn

John Garn Agent

If you're looking for a decent 4:3 RPTV set CHEAP, the 51" Panasonic 51wx43 (2003 model) has an MSRP of @$1500 and can be had for under $1200. Most 4:3's are dropping in price.

9. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    Curious about the burn-in issue too. I'm thinking of a 16x9 RPTV myself.

10. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent

you could get an infocus x1 FP for $1000 which has a 4000 hour bulb included.

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I know RCA doesn't get alot of respect around here, but I really like my D52W20. Retail is $1699 and it goes on sale as low as $1399 from time to time. Cabinet build is a little cheap (all plastic) but picture quality is great. It has all possible inputs, including DVI. I was surprised when it ended up having a better picture than the 47" Panasonic I replaced it with. My only real complaint is there's no manual convergence setting without entering the service menu. The automatic convergence does to a good job though. I'm very happy with the set and would only consider replacing it if I found a great deal on a Samsung Tantaus DLP (not the cheaper Samsung DLPs that lack the Faroudja de-interlacer and have thicker bezels) or a Phillips LCOS.

There's a slightly newer model RCA (D52W15) selling for $1299 regular price at best buy which appears to be the same with some minor cosmetic differences (more black, less silver), but it also doesn't have the screen-protector.

12. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer SD-533HD5 50" is extremely close to your range and would be worth the little extra, in my opinion.

13. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i just watch my mits 65 s in full overlay i just let it display on the full screen.

14. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like Mitsubishi the best for RPTV's. My Mitsubishi 50" RPTV i've had since 1999 and it's been on for approx. 30,000 hours. Only had to calibrate it a couple times (maybe once a year) and the display quality is still top notch. Panasonic is nice too. [​IMG]