What's new

What resolution do you keep your comp. screen set at? (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Aren't there recommended resolutions for monitor size?

I've always been under the impression that 1024x768 is it for 17", 1280x1024 for 19" and 1600x1200 for 21" (what I'm using now). I've tried 1800x1440 on this thing, but it's way too tiny.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
1600x1200 on a 21... Anything less than 80Hz or so makes me cross-eyed though!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Home: 17" monitor, 1600 x 1200
Work: 17" monitor, 1280 x 1024
With regards to PCs, I see the common misunderstanding that high-res equals tiny characters. With a bit of effort, high-res equals much easier to read than lower res. This is because: higher-res = more pixels = more image detail = smoother fonts for the same display size.
Just like with digital cameras or scanners, more resolution equals more detail.
Here's how:
- First, bring up the Display properties panel (Start->Settings->Control Panel->Display).
- Click the "Settings" tab, and move the "Screen Area" slider one notch closer to "More".
- Click "Apply". (You may need to reboot).
- If you can get this resolution without obvious screen flicker, and with sufficient colors (True Color, probably), then do this again, going for the next higher resolution.
- Repeat until you've maxed it out.
Now, things are far too small to read, right?
Fix it:
- Get the Display panel up.
- Click the "Effects" tab, and click the "Use large icons" check-box under "Visual Effects"; This doubles the size of the desktop icons.
- Then click the Settings tab, click the "Advanced..." button
- Under the "General" tab, change the "Font Size" setting to Large Fonts.
- Click "OK". You'll probably have to reboot. Otherwise, click "OK" on the Display panel.
You'll probably be good-to-go now. But if now, you can jack up those fonts some more :) There are two ways:
1) Custom font size
- Back at the "Font Size" selector, choose "Other...".
- The "Custom Font Size" panel appears
- Increase the "Scale fonts to be: ___%" option. I believe "Large" fonts are 125%, so try the 150% or 200% (or enter your own. Click "OK" until you're back at the desktop or you've had to reboot.
- You should have bigger, easier to read, fonts
2) Windows Appearance; This is more time-consuming, but is more flexible.
- On the Display panel, go to the "Appearance" tab.
- By clicking the text in the example illustration, and then changing the font size in the pull-down menu, below, you can tailor the font sizes for nearly all aspects of Windows.
Enjoy! :)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Home: 1152x864 on a 21"

Work: 1024x768 on a 17" (Now that I have a new PC with a better video card, I'll give 1152x864 another try)

As for the windows font size increase recommendation, many programs will have bizarre results if you put large fonts!

Geno

Supporting Actor
wow I need a new monitor!!! I run 1280x1024 on my 15"

Sony VIVITRON monitors all the way!!!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As for the windows font size increase recommendation, many programs will have bizarre results if you put large fonts!
I've encountered some minor issues with using non-standard font sizes, but none of them have prevented me from using the program, or approached being "bizarre".
The only programs I've seen that just don't work with large fonts are low-budget, or hastily made programs; things like the free games you get in cereal boxes.
But that's just me. The minor grievances are small penalty for having very smooth, very legible text :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks