What Remote to use with the Anthem AVM20 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Camlioglu, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Well, line conditioners, surge suppressors done and away with. (And switching my MCA 50 amp for a MCA 20/30 combo)
    My next is what remote to settle for with the Anthem.

I have a TC1000 (Take Control) which I was using with my Harman Kardon AVR 8000, but since I moved that to my PC theater (yes it's overkill - but I like it too much to sell), I don't use a remote since everything is an arms length away now.

So rather than re-learning all the codes to the TC1000, I have decided to ask for a "Christmas gift".

So far I've seen favorable points made on the Home Theater Master and certain Pronto's.

I'm leaning towards them (MX500, MX1000, or Pronto TU2000-3000?) ... but was wondering what you guys use as a majority or wish to use. Others I've seen were that new LCD one from RCA, the Sony RAV 2100(?), One for All - Director etc ...

Thanks again, (as always) for the help !

2. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Remote control choices are VERY personal. I really like my Marantz RC5000i (like a Pronto TSU2000) especially for it's programmability and ease of changing (using my computer). It's got a "cool" look, and if I'm 'bored' with it, I can quickly change the interface look (because I'm using a lot of "aliasing" with the remote. Kind of like getting a new remote whenever I feel like it (although I've tended to stay with pretty much the same screens with the change to the Anthem). It's also nice to download codes rather than having to always "learn" them.

OTOH, I still love my older Marantz RC2000 MKII because of all the hard buttons. Even though it has a light, I can "feel" my way around the remote. I wish it had some of the functionality of some of the newer hard button remotes (Principally the abilty to make changes via the computer), but it's still a great remote.

The newer Pronto's like a really nice compromise, both hard buttons and touchscreens (with all the computer interfacing), but they're expensive. I suppose it depends on how nice you are to "Santa".

For what it's worth, despite my professed love of my 2000, I seem to be using the "Pronto" exclusively....and I'm starting to get to a point where I intuitively know where the "buttons" are on my touchscreen.

3. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I use a Pronto with my AVM-20 and can't imagine using anything else. At first I was a bit unsure about not having enough 'real' buttons. That quickly faded as I explored the unlimited ability the ProntoEdit software gives you in terms of customization. I can do things I never thought possible with a remote.

I like the stock AVM-20 remote as a general purpose code-based remote. Plus, my wife likes it.

5. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to get my "play" time in .. and make the decision!
    Thanks again for your input guys !
    Tom[​IMG]

6. Mark Dubeau

Mark Dubeau Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    I use the MX-700 because I prefer the hard buttons to the touch screen. It is very programmable as well.