What's new

What remote do I need? (1 Viewer)

Wadeheat3

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle G
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of putting together a very low end system in my basement. I have all the components in the closet at the back of the room. My receiver does not support wifi and uses an IR remote.

I am looking for my best/most affordable options to be able to control my system with one remote. Harmony shows support for my receiver, TV, Xbox, but what model is going to work for the set up i described, hopefully without the need to run an IR cable the entire length of my room.

Thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Kyle!

Any of the 3 top Logitech remotes (Elite, 950, Companion) include a hub that allows wireless IR and Bluetooth control which should work for your setup.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
You would need a Harmony that uses the Hub, like the Harmony Elite. You could use the Companion but it is limited and doesn't have a touch screen.

Brian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love the ELITE. However, it might be overkill for you. The 950 is a really nice remote. As Brian has stated, once you go further down the product line into the COMPANION you lose the touch screen.

If you plan on having a smart home and want a remote to control that, you definitely need the ELITE, though.

Wadeheat3

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle G
Just saw that 950 does indeed not have a hub. So does that put me either companion or spending up and going elite?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The 950 is designed to control components hidden away in cabinets. So, that will work.

If it's important to you, the Elite adds the hub which enables Bluetooth and WiFi smart home support as well as using your smartphone as a remote control.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
To use the 950 you would have to add the hub which would put you at the same price as the elite. If you only have a few components to control the Companion would work. I feel it is too limited because I like to have quick buttons programmed to change sound fields, dim lights, etc.
I would say go to Best Buy and look at the remotes in person and see what you think.

Brian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The more I look at both remotes the more I am realizing you will have to go with the ELITE for components that are not in the line of sight.

I apologize for the misinformation. It has been a while since I compared both remotes. If you are keeping your components behind closed doors in the back of you then you will need the hub.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can get refurbished Elites at a significant discount. I got one for about $160 and it's like new.

DonnaHamilton

Auditioning
Real Name
Donna
Before you head to the store, do a search on Amazon for what kind of TV you have. Chances are, you have an HDTV or a newer model with built-in voice control. Just search for the brands and models you have and Amazon will have all of the models and accessories you'll need.

Users who are viewing this thread