What Recourse Do I have? (kind of long)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard Travale, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    [c]Prologue[/c]
    So, last night I'm watching TV and I notice a huge moth sitting on my screen...or so I thought. When I went to get rid of it I saw that it was inside my screen...LAME!
    So, I came on to the HTF to find out what to do and after reading a bunch of spider threads I decided to let the pros handle it since I had the extended warranty that provides me with a yearly cleaning. Here's where it gets kind of stinky.

[c]Chapter 1[/c]
    I haven't used the service yet because I've had no problems and figured why bother. But today, because of the moth and a few black specks on the screen, I decided that now was a good time to get my first cleaning.
    So, I call up the Futureshop warranty number and talk to a rep. I tell her that I would like to book a cleaning as per my extended service plan.She asked me what was wrong with the set and I told her that I saw the moth and figured it was the perfect time to get the cleaning done. She then said that the warranty doesn't cover moths to which I replied, I'm sure there is no moth clause in the warranty, that is why I want the simple cleaning done. I get the set cleaned and get rid of the moth at the same time.This is when she tells me that their service plan no longer includes the yearly cleanings as they were apparently causing more problems than they were fixing.
    Crap!, I thought. She then went on to say that they had stopped offering this as part of the warranty package in 2000...I bought my TV in 2002. I told her that the salesman told me that this was part of the plan and I also told her that this was the main reason I bought the plan...because of the yearly cleaning. After a minute or so on hold, she told me that she would approve this cleaning but it would be a one time deal and that I could get no more (my warranty runs out in 2006 so I'm eligible for 2 more if the salesman wasn't a lying ... but I digress).
    So, I repeat that this was the reason I bought the warranty and wondered at why the salesman would have lied (duh! $$$). She said I should talk to the store manager about this.
    [c]Conclusion[/c]
    I'm going to go talk to the manager today or tomorrow.
    So, I'm wondering if there is any recourse in this? I mean I paid $299 CAD for this service plan and find out that the reason I bought it wasn't even part of the plan. Can I demand my money back...part of it back, what?
    Should I maybe go and talk to the salesman first and find out why he scammed me and ask if he honestly thought I would never find out? I would like to work something out with him because aside from the lying and the theft, he's a pretty decent guy.

2. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

I would talk to both the salesman and the store manager, probably the salesman first to see if he can rectify the situation. If he can't, then talk with the manager about it. Not sure if you have those news reporters that deal with this kind of stuff up there in BC, but that could be a last resort.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think you have the option of getting a pro-rated refund. I know I have this option when I bought an extended warranty for my Canon G3 camera from London Drugs a while back.

Carefully read the service plan agreement that you got when you bought the plan. You DID get a copy of it right?

Whenever a salesperson claims something, also ask to see it in writing. Always.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Check your service plan agreement, and if it says it offers cleanings there is nothing they can do after the fact to change that

B

5. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

Actually, in fine print it does reserve the right for them to change the stipulations after the fact. That is why they get you to sign it.

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

if you were lied to to buy something they should rectify the situation, the problem is there is probably nothing in writing. I don't know Canada, but try the better business bureau and see if they have any complaints (after so many complaints they get an investigation and a possible fine)

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you raise hell, they should do it. Otherwise harass them and don't stop until they live up to your satisfaction in service. You are not being unreasonable in the least.

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Well, I went and looked at the warranty card carefully and in the very very fine print section it reads that cleanings only apply to VCRs and tape decks. I guess I just got duped, plain and simple.
    I'm still going to go in there tonight and talk to the guy and at least find out if he honestly thought that I would not find out.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Demand your set to be cleaned. Don't cave. You were lead to believe it, and you should raise hell. It is not at all odd to expect a service program to include calibration and cleaning of the optics, and if you were lead to believe that, raise hell. I don't care what the paper says, raise hell and have them fulfill what they promised and what you expected. This is shoddy service.

10. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

After years in retail, I'd say if the salesman made a promise and the store desires your business again, they will rectify the situation by refunding the cost of the warantee. Those things are like 99% profit and you were lied to regardless of what the paper contract says. These stores have to be liable for the claims made by their sales people.

Ummmmm. This line of questioning has me concerned though. I have had my RP Toshiba in a storage facility for 2 months whilest I close on my new house. Should I be concerned that it is full of bugs when I get it back? Is this normal for a TV to get bugs? I'm out of warrantee on the TV. Have any of you folks ever opened one up yourself? Is it tough?

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

They can get bugs occassionally, but they get dusty too and should be cleaned periodically. Either way, it's not hard to open one up, but it may void the warranty.