What's new

What reciever with Paradigm monitors? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Ok I have the Monitor 9, cc370 and adp-370. I heard these hooked up to a Anthem mca 20 and the bass out put was outstanding IMO. Right now i have an H/K AVR 230 and it's just not cutting it power wise, just curious what you guys might be using.

Craig

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I went from a Denon AVR-1803 (cat urinated on it and fried it) to a Pioneer vsx-1014. You are right, the monitors love power. The Pioneer has more power than the old Denon and my Monitors now sound like they should IMO. The Monitors can be a bit bright (even with the Denon) but the MCACC does wonders for these speakers. I would recommend any reciever with ample power and an Auto EQ. I would say the following would be bare minumum requirments (in the reciever market anyways):

- Pioneer 1014 (Elite 52TX) (has EQ)
- Denon AVR-3805 (has EQ)
- Yamaha 2400 (has EQ)
- HK 525 (not sure if it has EQ)
- Marantz 7300 (not sure if it has EQ)

I know NAD makes some nice recievers but I'm not sure if they have an EQ built in.

Good Luck.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I have the exact same set up. except I have the monitor 7's. I run the Yamaha HTR-5490 (similar to last years RCV-1300). I think it sounds great. I use it for movies only. I have a SV sub matched to it. Never have noticed it being short of power.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To me Yamaha and Denon are too flat for the Monitors, depending on your room. If you have a bright room, these receivers will tend add to that, even with auto-EQ. IMO, the Monitor line pairs well with Marantz, H/K, and NAD. My previous setup was Monitor 5s with a CC370 and Minis & Titans as rears. The 9s are where your issue lies; they need plenty of power.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Why does it seem like I've heard "the cat urinated on it and fried it" several times now? Is this some new thing with cats that they like to urinate on audio equipment? My dog isn't necessarily fond of my gear during movie time, but I'm not really fearful that he's going to take a leak on it!

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Yeah, it happened a few weeks ago and I was soooo dissapointed. I'm not rich by any means (living pay cheque to pay cheque almost), and having to dish out $900 CND for a new reciever was pretty hard. My birthday is today and the wife bought me a nice AV-rack with a glass door, so I should be safe now. Anyone with cats should be VERY careful.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
What are the main differences you guys are hearing when feeding the M7's more power? Is it just more punch and dynamics or does the soundstage open up as well? Is it a large improvement?

Anyone heard monitors paired with Aracam receivers? I have heard they are the choice for 2 channel music even though they put out less power than some of the other recievers listed in this thread. Of course other receivers should better the Arcam for home theater.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Arcam's AVRs costs more than any of the receivers listed, and their power ratings are realistic if not conservative. You can't judge a receiver by rated power output.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I know the Arcam is about $500 more than those listed here. I am fishing for opinions on if it is worth it or not to gain the better 2 channel performance with some M7's. Good point on "rated" output.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Forgot to note that Arcam will definitely sound better than anything listed. :) IMO, worth the extra $$ if you are looking for better sound. I love their simple, straigtforward designs and the sound quality is :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks