What's new

What Reciever to go with? (1 Viewer)

Kandy Orange Z

Auditioning
Real Name
Jadrein
Hello everyone, I am a new member to this forum and am looking for some advice! I am currently piecing together a home surround system. Im looking for a reciever now. In your opinions what is a good reciever in the $300-$500 range?
I have been looking at the Onkyo Tx-SR606 reciever. It seems to have some pretty good stats. But does it actually do a good job?

I will be primarily watching movies/playing PS3 with this surround.
To go along with it, I have a Polk CS350-LS center speaker, Polk psw125 sub..and am also looking for some nice,yet affordable front and rear speakers!
Any options on those will be appreciated as well!
Thanks.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree, the Onkyo is hard to beat.

If you plan to keep the Polk center, you should get timbre matched Polk mains. Normally the manufacturer sells these as sets. Check Polk's website to see what they suggest.

Kandy Orange Z

Auditioning
Real Name
Jadrein
Im still on the fence about keeping the center speaker. Its HUGE. I purchased it online and didnt expect the speaker box to be so big, we'll see on that.
Do you have a model number for the polk front speakers your talking about?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That center speaker is a vintage product. About 15 years old. It's going to be difficult to find the correct matching fronts. Polk may have some other fronts that are kind of close but the front three really need to be a matched set. You would probably be better off selling the CS350-SL and getting a matched front/center set.

Kandy Orange Z

Auditioning
Real Name
Jadrein
Thanks for the input so far! I have decided to re-sell my Polk center speaker (on Ebay if anyone's interested)
I will be going with the Onkyo reciever and the Polk cs10 center speaker (tsi series) and i am looking into the polk tsi 400 front speakers. Any input on that setup?

Kandy Orange Z

Auditioning
Real Name
Jadrein

I have heard them at my local best buy. They sound good in there, but Best Buy has way more of a room than i have to fill.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listening is the most important thing you can do. Before you purchase them, I would suggest you listen to a few more speakers first just to be sure. Don't be afraid to listen to more expensive speakers even if you don't plan to get them. Also look at internet direct speakers like Axiom and SVS.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I ditto what Dave Willow has to say about speakers. Listen to as many speakers as you can as they are the most individual part of your system and it is important that they work together as a team to produce the results you want. Since used speakers don't bring much in resale value you will probably going to live with you purchase for a few years so don't skimp with this important part of you system. Don't be afraid to bring your own sources of listening material to audition speakers.

I would say as a general rule with the exception of Bose cubes which use a special Bose created music program to demo the system. That most systems will probabley sound better at home than in most stores like Best Buy. In fact that must be the marketing method used by on line only sellers like SVS and Axiom that once you get their speakers in your home you are not going to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks