What's new

What Recever - Marantz 7200, Yamaha 1300 or 2300 (1 Viewer)

James Wilson

Auditioning
I am ready to upgrade my receiver. I have found some good prices locally, but I need halp in a decision. Use will be 75% HT and 35% music. My choices are:

Marantz SR-7200 - $650
Yamaha RX-V1300 - $650
Yamaha RX-V-2300 - $850

Speakers are good, but small Definitive Pro Monitor 80, Pro Sub 80, and Pro Center 100.

Set-up is 5.1 and I do not expect to add any more speakers or a rear center anytime soon.

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
James,

I have owned a Yamaha RX-V 2200 for about 9 months now and a RX-V 1000 before that and a Sony 975 before that. I use the 2200 for mainly HT, a little music, and the selectable Zone 2 powers my outdoor speakers. I love the Yamaha's ability to process two different audio/video sources at the same time. My wife will be outside gardening to her favorite tunes, while I am inside watching whatever I like.

I have never had any issues with any of my Yamaha receivers and can't recall ever hearing anyone complaining about their build quality or reliability.

I've no personal experience with the Marantz so thats my 2 cents worth.

I think that the 2300 is very similar to the 2200.

Phil

onavi

Auditioning
I too have the RX-V2200. Great unit. I think the only major difference is the wattage is now 110, instead of 100. And I do like the two zone on the unit as well since I have my old Yamaha powering the speakers in the living room.

Jonas Pearson

Stunt Coordinator
James,

I have the SR-7200, no experience with Yamaha. I'm about 50% music, 50% HT. I have yet to hear a receiver in this price range that balances HT and music as well as the 7200. The source-direct mode for music is breath-taking, and it's home theater is excellent. Good luck with your decision.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Why not add the Denon 3802 to the mix. If HT is your prime concern then the 3802 will fit the bill nicely and will do your music well too.

James Wilson

Auditioning
When using the Yamaha's Zone 2 capabilities, is there any other equipment required other than additional speakers? (I reveiwed the manual online and it appeared that a seperate amp was needed)

Can you watch HT in one room and listen to music in the other room on the Yamaha 1300, without any extra equipment?

Thanks,
Jim

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
James,

On the 2200 you need to supply power to the "zone 2". I am not sure if the 2300 has a "self-powered Zone 2" or not. I use an old Sony amp to power my outdoor speakers.

The 2200 and the 2300 have "selectable" Zone 2. A lot of receivers have a Zone 2, but it is not selectable, you have to listen to the same source in the primary zone as zone 2.

Sorry, I drifted from your original question. Not sure about the 2300, but the 2200 needs separate power for the second zone.

The Yamaha website as well as the manual seems to indicate a "selectable zone 2" on the 1300 but it doesn't seem to have the traditional dial knob that I am familiar with that is on the 2200/2300.

Phil

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
I've auditioned both and they are both remarkable in home theater. I find it hard to distinguish differences when watching a movie so I basically concentrate on how audible the dialogue is, slam factor during explosions, and integration of all the channels.

They are both great for HT and even the Denon 3802 (but this is more expensive).

BUT, in music, and in Source Direct mode, nothing beats the Marantz SR7200 in this price range. At least among the ones I auditioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks