What's new

What receiver would you buy now that would make a good pre/pro later? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I just thought I'd run this by everybody because I am planning on buying a new receiver tomarrow. I have been leaning towards the Denon 3802. My budget is about $800 and the receiver has to power Pardigm Monitor 11's, Mini Monitors, and CC-370. I'd like the receiver to have some form of 7.1 processing. Eventualy I will buy a 7 ch. amp to power an eventual upgrade to the Pardadigm Studio line.

Thanks...

james

ps here is my upgrade path if this helps:

1st. Buy a new receiver (tomarrow)

2nd. Buy an Outlaw 770 amp (in a couple months) and use the receiver as pre/pro

3rd. Upgrade from the Paradigm Monitor line to the Studio line (100's x 2, 20's x 4,

Studio CC) in November

4th. Buy a new house (1 year)

5th. Buy Dual SVS Ultras

6tt. Buy a progressive scan DVD player

7th. Buy a DLP or LCD projector and screen (2-3 years)

8th. Buy whatever pre/pro is on the market that I like

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I just got the DA5ES inhopes of eventually adding a 3 channel amp. I am impressed the the bass management and 2 5.1 imputs. I have tremendous adjustability with DPLII music movie, and DTS NEO. Pretty well equiped for

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
I just hooked up a Bryston 5B-ST three-channel amp to the DA5ES and it sounds great. I thought the standard amps in the Sony was too harsh and edgy for music when used with my M&K's but they did sound great with home theater. I now have the Bryston hooked up to the mains and center. This definitely smoothed out the highs for music. I would definitely recommend at least adding a decent 2-channel outboard amp and use the Sony as a pre/pro. As a standalone pre/pro, the DA5ES is probably the best value on the market (sorry Outlaw :)) based on it's combination of features and sound. At the very least, adding an outboard amp will give you a nice 2-channel setup that will last you a very long time.
Here's my equipment list:
M&K S-1C mains
M&K S-125 center and surrounds
M&K MX-125 MkII subwoofer (had a SVS 20-39PC but it was too boomy for music - no flames please :))
Sony STR-DA5ES receiver
Bryston 5B-ST three-channel amp (3x120)
Sony DVP-9000ES DVD/CD player
B.E.L and Silver Serpent analog interconnects
Transparent Premium digital coax
Mits 55857 RPTV

chung

Stunt Coordinator
I would also recommend the Sony STR-DA5ES as a pre-pro. It provides unprecedented flexibility: individual equalization for each channel, 2 sets of multi-channel audio inputs, 10 Hz steps for subwoofer crossover, phono input, 2 remotes, 3 zones, etc. When coupled with a separate stereo power amp, I find little to complain about the analog bypass sound. For those who keep track of such stuff, the Sony has 3 processors and 192KHz/24bit DAC's. $750 online is a great deal. 5 year warranty, too. There is nothing wrong with using the internal amps to drive the surrounds, so you only need an external 2 or 3 channel amp.

On the negative side, because of its complexity, it is not the easiest receiver to set up. The 2-way remote is also something you may not love, at least right away.

The HK-AVR520 is another that I recommend highly. The assignable power amps are very convenient for future upgrades. I read that prople are getting sub-$600 online quotes now.

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chung,

What do you mean by assignable power amps in the HK? Is this a feature lacking in the DA5ES? What types of applications can this feature be used for?

james e m

Second Unit
Raffi, my price range is around $800.
As for the Sony I would have a hard time buy the STR-DA5ES because the current Sony model I own ruined 3 of my Paradigm speakers due to low power issues. Needless to say I'm still angry at Sony. :angry:
I'm still thinking the Denon 3802 or the Onkyo 797.
james

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Milt:

What do you mean by assignable power amps in the HK? Is this a feature lacking in the DA5ES? What types of applications can this feature be used for?
The inputs to the 5 power amps in the HK520 are brought out to the rear panel, together with the preamp outputs. Removable jumpers are installed so that the 5 main preamp outputs go to the 5 power amps inputs respectively. When you use an exteranl stereo amp, for instance, you can configure the HK so that the L/R preamp outputs go to your external amp, and use the 5 internal power amps for the center and the surrounds. This gives you the flexibility of assigning any of the internal power amps to work with any preamp output. You also save a little power (not much) when you have nothing connected to the input of an unused internal power amp.

This feature is lacking in the Sony and most other receivers. That means you cannot use, say, the internal L/R power amps for amplifying the surrounds.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
James,

You are probably dealing with Sony DE series which is total crap. Their ES series gear is a different level of equipment.

Do you ears a favor and check it out. You may like it. You may not but atleast you have heard for yourself whether it is indeed a POS sony or a worthwhile addition to your home theater room.

If forced into a decision I'd go with the Denon over the Onkyo based on features and what I heard however the 5es is a better unit IMHO so if its not ruled out I'd go with the Sony over the Denon or Onkyo.

james e m

Second Unit
Shane, I know my receiver is garbage but Sony did fudge on the facts when they labled it 100 watts x 5.
I have been looking at STR-DA5ES and I was wondering does it do true Dolby Digital EX decoding or does it just do Sony's virtual matrix verison of it? The Sony website makes it sound like it does, but the online retailers make it sound like it doesn't. What's the deal?
And where can I check it out for $750?
Also does the STR-DA5ES have an 5/7 channel stereo mode?
So right now the contenders are:
Denon 3802/1082
Sony STR-DA5ES
Onkyo 797
I have to admit I am having a REALLY hard time with the Denon and the Sony not having "real" Dolby Digital EX decoding. That is a really important feature for my receiver to have. Do the Sony and the Denon do DD EX titles justice?
james

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I too am a very HAPPY/Satisfied Sony DA5ES owner. I also considered ALL of those receivers mentioned above but ended up with the Sony. I like the fact that I can UPGRADE (RSP 232 port) in the future for any MORE of these Silly Formats.

It also has great Sound for 2 Channel Analog Direct and more than enough power to Bottom Out my Mains, but thanks to the Excellent Bass management AND EQ for ALL channels, I fixed the Bottoming Out problem.

Did I mention that it does MOVIES VERY VERY WELL?

and as a Bonus- It comes with a 5 year warranty even if you didn't buy it from a dealer!

GOOD LUCK AND GREAT CHOICES.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
On the topic of assignable amps and 7.1 output, I found a small gem in the DA5ES manual the other day. It seems that you can reassign the front center amp to be a second rear center amp. I forget which one (the front center or rear center binding posts) become the left/right rear center, but it's described in the manual. This would be perfect if someone wanted to pick up a 3 channel amp for the fronts and center, and then use the sony for surrounds and rear speakers. However it falls just short if you wanted to get a 2 channel amp for fronts and have the sony for the center+surrounds+rears as some might like.

-- Dave

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
David,

I don't know if you can answer this but here goes. I have a two channel amp (Samson S700) and I am currently using only one channel for my SVS sub. Can I use the other channel for the center channel and then assign the Sony center Channel amp to be the other rear channel? Thanks in adavanced.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Juan,

I believe so, but I hesitate to say that I'm positive. I only read that part of the manual quickly, since I won't even have a 6.1, let alone a 7.1 setup. I will try and make sure that I look that up and give it a better reading when I get home tonight. The only question in my mind is whether the center channel pre-out carries the proper signal when it's configured to be rear-center. I can image that they might have put the change into the processing software instead of just switching the source of the amp's signal.

The difference in this case would be between an very useful feature and a totally worthless feature (who would want 2 rear surrounds, but no front center?)

On a related note, I really wish Sony was like other decent manufacturers and put up PDF files of their manuals on their website. I can't think of any rational reason why they wouldn't. Makes buying decisions that much more difficult when it comes to their equipment.

BTW, Juan, why not use the second Sampson amp to the second rear surround? Seems like a more straight-forward solution, and would work with any reciever with pre-outs.

-- Dave

J

John Morris

Sherwood Newcastle R-863 or Denon 3802 are the choices that I've heard and liked. I have not heard the Sony nor HK units.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
David,

I did not know I could just hookup one amp to one of the rear preouts and have to rear channels at the end, one from the internal Sony amp and the other from the Samson. I have not purchased the Sony yet as I am waiting for a response on the Pioneer Elite 47TX I ordered. If the 47TX takes any longer to get here I might just cancel my order and go with the Sony. Either way I need to replace my current receiver because they are just not doing justice to my new speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks