1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Receiver with Def Techs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Al Glasser, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Al Glasser

Al Glasser Auditioning

Hi everyone,

Quite frankly, I am at a loss and don't know what to do. I have researched these forums and am still bewildered, so I ask for some help please.

I have a new Pioneer 912K receiver being used with 2 new Def. Tech. 2002tl fronts (wired with a 14 gage speaker cable as all other channels), a 2500 center, and 2 bp2x surrounds.

The problem is that when I try to play movies or music with a lot of information at high levels (about 95db output read with a RS DB meter) the pioneer shuts down with an overload in about 3 seconds or less. I can keep it going with about a top level of around 90 db or a little less.

I belive I have read enough to understand that the reason is that the pioneer just can't handle it although I guess I had did my research and thought it would. I know the speakers can have an impeadance in the range of 4-8 ohms.

Well anyhow, I now have spent considerable time trying to figure out what receiver may do better in the ~$1000 or less range, without comming to a conclusion, and this is where I need the help with anything you may suggest.

I thank you in advance,

Al

2. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried to return it for a replacement unit? It could be just that unit and not a model wide problem.

3. Al Glasser

Al Glasser Auditioning

"Have you tried to return it for a replacement unit? It could be just that unit and not a model wide problem"

Yes, this is the second unit and it is the same. I feel sure it's an available power issue.

Let me ask anyone about the HK 7200. The amount of info. I've collected seems to indiate this receiver would do it.
    Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks again.

Al

4. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

When I first bought my Definitives I had an Onkyo 575. I then tried a Sony DA2es and returned it. I now have a Denon 2803 and have been pretty happy with it. But to be honest I think the Onkyo sounded a little better. If it had been a 6/7.1 receiver I would have kept it. I didn't buy another Onkyo at the time because it seemed like a lot of people were having trouble with the new units. Anywho, it seems like there are no complaints lately about Onkyo so I would recommend them or Denon.

5. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I have a Denon AVR-3803 powering a pair of the new supertowers, BP7001sc's and CLR3000. I was a little worried that it wouldnt be able to drive them but I have not heard any problems yet. A seperate amp would be ideal but the funds just arent there for that at this time.

You should be able to find the 3803 for under $1000 somewhere. If not, the 2803 should work fine as my former roommate has the 2802 powering BP2000TL's and CLR3000.

6. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

7. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

Holger,

Since my former roommate had the 2000's and I now have the 7001's hopefully I can give a little insight. I never got to a side by side comparison and I am by no means an expert so please keep that in mind. I only got into home theater about 2 years ago (when I was introduced those beautiful black towers my roommate had) and still have a lot to learn.

The biggest improvement in the 7001's is the sub. I believe the 2000's have a 15 inch 500 watt sub compared to a 10 inch woofer and 2 10 inch radiators (dont know much about how that works) with a 1500 watt amp. You could say that the amp is 3 times as powerful with twice as much woofer although I dont know how accurate of a statement that would be. The crossover networks have been updated also.

In all honesty I dont notice a huge improvement in the midrange and upper frequency. The upper section of the speaker is pretty much the same but there is a slight improvement. Its the bass when I can notice a big difference. It has a lot more power to it and goes lower than the 2000's. One thing to note is that my speakers are not setup the best because of space limilatations and WAF. My roommate had his way out in the room and my wife wont allow that until we get a bigger place. So considering mine are not setup as well as my roommates but I do notice better sound should give some insight. Also, I have a feeling that the 7001's would be better with a seperate amp than the 2000's would.

What I really like about the 7001's is the size. They are smaller than the 2000's which was a big factor in me getting them.

If you are happy with the 2000's than I would keep them. If bass is the only thing you want more of than I would consider getting the Supercube reference or Supercube 1.

I am sure trained ears or people that listen critically to music (I am 95% movies, 5% music) could give better thoughts in terms of the improved crossover networks. Hope that helps and if you have any more questions please ask.

8. Holger

Holger Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andrew,

I'm very happy with my BP2000TL's and the last thing that needed to be upgraded is the bass. I got plenty of it and it is always smooth, crisp clear, never boomy or disturbed. One thing I love about those speakers: No matter what kind of material you feed them, no matter what kind of high spl's you try to make them scream, it doesn't work. They play all and everything always with grace, and they are able to turn from one moment (purring) cat to the next into a (roaring) lion. I just asked, because I'm always curious if new technology has something better to offer. The problem is: The two new top power tower models are not available over here in Germany right now, and I don't know if they ever will, so there is no chance for me to take a listen on them. But as I state before, there is absolutely no reason for me to upgrade, I'm 100% satisfied with the performance of the BP2000TL's.
    Thank you for your nice description.

p.s. if the hole in your wallet has filled up again, try to spend your speakers a better device then the Denon 3803. It would be well spend money...

regards, Holger