What's new

What receiver will match best with Polks? (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Recently brought a whole new Polk setup.

rt1000i: fronts

cs400i: center

f/x500i: rears

I'm now in the market for a new receiver to mate well with my Polks. Anyone have a similar setup? And what receiver do you use? Which reciever will do Polks justice, like Denon does to Klipsh?

Charles

Herman_db

Auditioning
Hi Charles,
I would highly recommend the Onkyo 989 / 898 receivers. My previous setup was Polk Rt2000p, CS 350, and RT/FX.
My current system is RT 800i, CS400, FX 500i, and 2 PSW650's driven by a Onkyo TX 989. The Big onkyo has a very good tonal quality with the polk's. And there is enough power to get a lot of movement out of the very willing speakers.
Go and listen to the Polk Onkyo combo, you won't regret. PLUS the 989 is software can be upgraded.....
Cheers
Herman:emoji_thumbsup:

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
i actually have polk speakers w/ an onkyo 575 and its just not strong enough. i did however have a chance to test out the speakers with a denon receiver in the same price range and it was much better. go with denon, you wont regret it. the 3802 would be a perfect match.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
I have Polk RT2000's, CS400, FX500's, connected to a Onkyo 797 and it sounds great. Power is not a problem.

--Randy S.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, hey neighbor. So you guys are suggestion something over 100 watts or more? I currently have an avr1700(brought in 1999). I've been looking to upgrade for a while. Every year I've been holding because their's some new every year. I just want to get something that is current and will stick around for about 5 years, without becoming exstinct. Was going to get a 3802 but, I also like what Yamaha is bringing to the table. Maybe something new like Onkyo. We'll see. Please keep more suggestions coming.

Charles

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
Hi neighbor,

I had been leaning towards the Denon 3802, and wanted to get the Denon, but I suprised myself and flipped, and got the Onkyo 797. The main reasons were: I can't stand the Denon remote and I love the Onkyo remote. Also, after spending a lot of time reading the manuals on the internet, I really like the various volume control setup options on the 797, and being able to temporarily change the speaker levels on the fly (sometimes when watching a DVD I feel the need to raise/lower the center/subwoofer speakers). I didn't see these features in the Denon manual.

One thing nice about the 797 is that it has the same feature setup as the 898.

I'm still learning the capabilities of the receiver but I found one thing I don't like. I wish the remote had dedicated 0-9 number buttons. They are shared with the

listening and DSP mode buttons and the numbers are hard to see, especially when the room is darkened. When watching TV in surround sound, it can be a pain trying to enter the right number to change to a certain channel. They could have had dedicated number buttons and added a few extra buttons to handle the DSP/THX/SURR modes. I wish there was even a couple more extra buttons that I could use to learn certain other buttons from my TV and DVD player.

--Randy S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks