What receiver to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexander G., Feb 6, 2002.

1. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

I am planning to buy the Paradigm Monitor 9's soon, and I was wondering what receiver you guys would recommend. I will be using the system for 70% music and 30% home theater. All suggestions appreciated.

2. Scott Yuri

Scott Yuri Stunt Coordinator

What's your budget? For mostly music you got to go a long, long way to beat the Arcams

3. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

perhaps you should state what dollar amount you are interested in spending. but here are some ideas from me:
    budget -
    kenwood
    yamaha
    pioneer
    mid-range -
    denon
    onkyo
    marantz
    outlaw
    harman kardon
    high-end -
    i don't know i never had enough $'s to consider one[​IMG]

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Sherwood Newcastle R-956 ($500) or Outlaw 1050 ($499)

5. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

I'm looking to spend $600-$800.

6. Scott Yuri

I'd take serious looks at the Yamaha RX-V1200 & 2200, the Denon 3802 & 2802, the HK AVR-320 & 520, and lastly the Onkyo Integra 6.2 & 7.2. Some of mid-fi's best. You should be able to listen to all these with Paradigms just probably not in the same store.

7. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

That's my problem- I can't listen to most of the receivers. Only one store around here sells Paradigms, and they only have two Onkyo receivers and some Sony receivers. I'm not interested in the Onkyos they have. Should I go to a different store that sells other receivers (such as the 2802) and listen to it on different speakers? The 2802 in the other store is hooked up to a pair of PSB speakers, which sound similar to Paradigm. What are your thoughts on this?

8. Scott Yuri

If they have other receivers you can listen to the 2802 against something else to at least see if you can rule out or in. PSB's aren't too shabby either.

9. Howard Halligan

If you want a great sounding receiver for both music and HT you can not beat the Outlaw 1050 at $499. High quality parts, great sound = outperforms receivers costing $1000 or more. Stereophile Guide to Home Theater's Editor's Choice for 2002. Check out the reviews. www.outlawaudio.com

10. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Howard,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the site, and I noticed that it only does 65 watt for 6 channels, and 70 for 5. Do you think that will be enough for my speakers? I have been looking at 90-100 watt per channel receivers because I wanted to power my speakers for the best sound (especially noticeable in music).

Alexander

11. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Also, I'd like to add that I'm new to all this, and that I remember reading that wattage in every receiver is different. So that Outlaw may be as powerful as the Denon from what I remember reading (although I could be wrong).

12. Howard Halligan

No you are right - wattage is a very unreliable figure. Measurement standards are anything but uniform and are, therefore, subject to manipulation or "interpretation". The Outlaw plays louder (and far cleaner) than two 100 watt per channel Sony A/V receivers I had before I got my two 1050s. I use multiple center channel speakers and multiple rear (6th channel) speakers with no problems in a 12 x 24 room. Shakes the house - I have yet to turn it up "full". I do, of course, have seperatly powered subs. The power rating of the Outlaw is very very conservative. Plus the output is of the highest quality. Look at the reviews in magazines and on the "audioreview.com" site. I have toyed with getting the Outlaw 750 powerhouse but I keep saying "what for" - I don't need any more power and I can not see how it could be all that much better. What is the efficency rating for the Paradigms?

13. Howard Halligan

There is a poster on the Outlaw BB who is using the 1050 with Paridigm Reference speakers in his HT and claims great results.

14. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Howard,

Thanks for the information. Sorry, but I don't know where I would look up an efficiency rating. Would it be somewhere on Paradigm's site, or on a third party site...?

Alexander

15. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Yes, specs for the paradigm models, including efficiency ratings, can be found on their web site. The Monitor 7s are rated at 93db "in room" and 90 db anechoic. To me, that would indicate that receivers rated in the 50 to 100 watts/channel range would provide enough power unless you have a very large room or listen at unusually loud levels.

16. Howard Halligan

Bobs right. Remember that the Outlaw outputs more in stereo mode and 6 x 65 or 390 total in surround mode - add a powered sub and that's a lot of sound - will shake your house - I use Klipsch THX LCRs (efficency 95 db) and the Outlaw provides more than enough to fill a 12x24 room. I have a second Outlaw based system in which I use big Klipschorns and LaScalas (efficency 104 db) - I'n that case turning it all the way up could actually produce ear damage. The important point is that the big old Klipsch speakers are very revealing and work well with the Outlaw!

It is a very very good sounding receiver. Plain looking however - the $ are on the inside.

17. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Howard,
    Sound & Vision measured the Outlaw at ~ 62x5 into 8 ohms. And another major mag (Home Theater?) measured 64x5 into 8 ohms, and only ~ 68x5 into 4 ohms. Not really an indicator of a very strong power supply....same power into 8 and 4 ohms. Most receivers that can do 60 watts into 8 ohms, can do 90-100 into 4 ohms....typical 150% ratios. I'm not talking about how much power one needs (that's a totally different discussion). Don't look at non-Sony ES receivers, look at the lower Onkyo, HK, Denon models....they can all do 65+ wpc easily.
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/ratevsac.htm
    What $1000 street price receivers do you think the Outlaw outperforms? Brands and model numbers?

18. Howard Halligan

Home Theater headlined it's review calling the 1050 "High End Performance at a Mass Market Price". Stereophile Guide to Home Theater awarded the 1050 their Editor's Choice Gold Award for 2002, Perfect Vision gave it an excellent review. The Home Theater review measured 99.something watts at 4 ohms, if my memory serves me correctly. I can not directly compare it to anything other than the Sonys I have but others in Audio Review, the Klipsch BB, etc. find it superior in comparison to their Dennons, Yamahas, etc. Hearing other receivers at CES in Vegas, the HTS in NY, and in dealer showrooms lead me to beleive that the view expressed by many that the Outlaw is superior to most receivers in the $1000 range not in looks or features but in sound quality is true. It has a heafty power supply - the entire receiver weighs in at over 36 lbs. Are you a retailer by any chance? Reviews and data and links are available on their site www.outlawaudio.com

19. ChrisMM

ChrisMM Auditioning

You can get the Denon 2802 for around $610 to $625 (Authorized dealer online). It cranks out 90 watts per channel (.05THD) into 8 ohms x 6.

20. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I like the Outlaw as well, but the lack of DPL2, 5 channel stereo, and digital outputs is what turned me from the Outlaw and instead to the Denon 1802. As soon as Outlaw releases a new 6.1 receiver with the features listed above, then I'm there. For the price Alex, I would recommend the Denon 3802, HK 520, Marantz 7200, or Onkyo 797. I think any of these would go nicely with your speakers. Howard's suggestion is great as well (especially for $500.00), the outlaw is a solid performer if you can live with the lack of features.

Reg