What's new

what receiver to drive Paradigm Monitor speakers? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I was looking at some Paradigm Monitor speakers last weekend, and the store only carries high-end receivers like NAD, Rotel etc, they don't even carry Yamaha. The owner basically said only those receivers would make the best of the Paradigm speakers. I was considering Monitor 7 or 9 for fronts, CC-70 for center and ADP-70 for rear. Anybody has more moderatedly priced ($500-$700) receivers working with this kind of set up?

thanks,

Jason

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Jason,
You got fed some crap, but then you didn't.

Of course better and more powerful receiver/seperates will bring out better things in your speakers.
But, that's not to say you can't have a very satisfying experience with "lesser" receivers.

Budget receviers are getting beter all the time. Most receivers in the $5-700.00 price range will have pre-outs that will allow you to add an amp down the road as your budget allows.

If you don't mind e-shopping this is a steal of a deal from an authorized dealer and will me more than adequate for a while.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_18440.htm?PMNID=754

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jason, as an NAD dealer myself...something like their

T753 would more than power those Paradigms and sound sweet too...and the price is VERY affordable.

With NAD or Rotel for that matter, I've never seen a client ever feel they needed to "upgrade" to get more or better power or sound...

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Jason, retail on the 753 is $999. Dealers may or may not offer discounts on that price...that's between you and the dealer.

that makes me wonder, for the more expensive receivers, like the NAP-T753 mentioned above, is the difference (from the cheaper ones, like the Yamaha RX-V1400) in performance and cost really in the amplifier section?

Blaine P

Agent
I am in a similar situation. I have (ordered) Paradigm Atoms, CC-170 and PDR-10 (6.1 setup) and have heard Yamaha is an excellent matching receiver. However, I will be purchasing an HDTV in the future (DLP or LCD) and would like to know of any special features that such a TV must have. That way I can spring for the whole package now rather than pay for a temp receiver and have to buy another one a year or two from now.

Thanks for your thoughts.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I don't see how the TV has anything to do with the receiver, unless you plan to use the receiver for video switching. If so, the Yamaha RX-V1400/RX-V2400 have plenty of bandwidth for component video switching and will also "upconvert" all composite & s-video inputs to component.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Some people say that Yamaha is a good match... so!
I like Pepsi and have friends that like Coke. It only matters what sounds good to you! That's the "good match"

Jason, I guess the un-paraphrased version of that statement is: As receivers get better and they come up with new things it all trickles down the pipe. Things are getting cheaper as they are around longer. So you can get alot for a little now as opposed to a little for a lot a few years ago. The "higher up" though, is like the starting point. Plus better parts. Things like binding posts instead of spring clips, discrete circuitry, etc...

I don't know.

I just read an article in "Stereophile GTHT"
and Michael "snobby" Fremmer reviewed some "budget" equipment to see how good that arena is and he was impressed at what a few hundred bucks can buy.
I am not saying there is no benefit to spending more, but make sure you can hear and use the differences before you spend more.

I hope this makes sense, cause after reading what I just typed, I'm confused.

Blaine P

Agent
Thanks. I was just curious if anything special was needed. Sounds like nothing special is required right now. The RXV1400 sounds like quite a deal.

What is the minimum above-clearance a receiver such as the RXV1400 needs when placed in a shelf (built-in entertainment unit). My space for the receiver is slightly over 7 inches which would leave barely over a quarter-inch above the receiver. Note: I would not be pushing the receiver too bad with my Paradigms listed above.

Thanks.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Jason,
Did you go to a Sound Company by any chance? I called to ask about the Paradigm Studio 40's and the guy seemed more interested in what I was going to drive them with. When I said I had an Integra DTR 7 and a Marantz 2270 he started off on the NAD/Rotel receiver sales pitch. They must make a pretty good commission on those.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Jason,

I have no wisdom about your selection of AVR. It is entirely possible to get the AVR from another store, y'know :)

That said, I wanted to point out that the CC-70 and the ADP-70 are not timbre matched with the Monitors (CC-370 and ADP-370 if memory serves). You almost certainly want to match the front soundstage, and make sure you try out (and have the correct type of room for!) the ADPs before you buy. some love the Dipole sound, others don't.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mostly as well as added inputs and features and in some cases shielding internally(noise prevention for lack of a better term).

At the top of your budget you should also consider:

Marantz 7400(think that is the current model)

List is $899. You shoudl be able to negotiate down to your price range if the dealer wants to make a sale. The same could be said of NAD.

Neil Regitz

Auditioning
I have the Studio 40's and the CC470. I drive them with a Sony STR-DA4ES. The set-up sounds great to me and the receiver has plenty of power to drive the speakers.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I am sure this dealer would tell you this no matter what receivers they carried. I would like to chime in as a happy owner of a Yamaha/Paradigm Monitor combination. I have been using this combination for over five years. I have the Yamaha RX-V2400 and Monitor 7s.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I have the Monitor 7's, cc370, 4 atoms & pdr12, all driven by the Pioneer 45tx. Sound plenty good to me, with plenty of power.

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
i used to have lower end pioneer vsx711.
i have no problem with the speakers-receiver combo.
but at a point of the volume and up i hear sssssss. sound
paradigm monitor series speaker has hyper active tweeters.

i am waiting for my h/k7200 and see if there is still ssssss. sound.

i have tested my friends h/k 310, his receiver is defective and with paradigm speakers it's very obvious; left is at least 20db off compare to the right.

i am a music lover and sometimes i want to impress my friends with movies. so i am looking more into quality of the amp. and pioneer VSX711 is around 20lbs and 7200 is around 50lbs. (that's most certainly the first look for me when buying receivers/amp)

then the price of the receivers goes up as more features are offered and higher end chips are used.

i remembered the last time when i was at a demo room, hill crest fidelity uses B&K, later on switch to pioneer elite.
with the room being acoustically fixed and volume is not significantly turn on, i can't hear any difference in them.
among speakers klipsch is the brightest follow by paradigm than mirage.(that's only my ears)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

i have the hk7200 with my 7's and really like the sound...btw i think that it may be a little bit heavier than 50lbs...if it is not, then it is the heaviest 50lbs i ever picked up...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks