What's new

What Receiver Should I Buy?? (1 Viewer)

Titan34

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I am a complete noob in home audio. I just ordered two polk monitor 70 towers and plan on getting a cs2 center 2 monitor 30's and two in ceiling speakers plus a bic pl200 sub. What receiver should I buy to support all this. I know the monitor 70 are power hungry from what Ive read. Id like to be 3d rady and have some networking abilities.
Accessories for less has
Denon 3311 for 500 bucks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Good to know the most efficient speaker in the Monitor line is "power hungry"...(sarcasm)
Kills me that people still perpetuate the miss guided info that big speakers are "power hungry"...
What do the BIC DV84, Polk M70, Mordaunt Short Carnival 6 and Infinity Primus P363 all have in common?
They all use less power(for the same volume) than the BIC DV52, Polk M30, Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 and Infinity Primus P153.
That Denon, if that price is accurate, is a good deal.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 3311 at ac4l would be a factory refurb but still a good deal. A 5 year extended warranty would only be $49 more. It would have no problem powering any of the Polk monitor speakers. Amazon had a new 3312 for $599 a few weeks ago. But you missed it.
I think the scuttle-butt is that many tower speakers sound better at higher volumes thus the feeling they are power hungry. Add the fact that most of these types of forums suggest that people get a seperate two channel amp to power the fronts and what are people supposed to think? But it is true that generally the larger the speaker the more effecient they are. This is also true for individual drivers. An 8" woofer is usually more effecient than the same model 6" driver.
In any event, most receivers will power most speakers to ear-bleeding levels.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Look for the features you need and reviews. Any decent receiver will deliver enough power and just about any seperate amp will sound better and be more powerful regardless of "power ratings"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks