What receiver for strictly HT use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russ Stark, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Russ Stark

Russ Stark Auditioning

I am constructing a HT with a projector. I want a receiver purely for the HT surround sound. I am shooting for the full 7.1 but am confused when most receivers are listed 6.1 with 7.1 pre out. I assume I would have to purchase additional equipment to run in 7.1 ? Any clarification would be great. Also, many of the receivers don't have the THX seal of approval. Is this something I should search for with my purely HT system? Is it a format like DTS? I am considering the DA5ES, AVR3802, H/K 520Z, and the 1200. Price range under $1,000.

2. Chad T

Chad T Auditioning

I have a similar question but might be able to also help you answer yours.

Some background:
    I have been tossed into the HT world in the last month or so. A good friend of mine works in the home automation industry and has put a Braco 808s in my hands for peanuts. I have been reading a bit about various recievers and speakers as well as talking in length with my buddy. I am very novice and my information is 2nd hand.

He said she said:
    According to my installer friend, chasing THX certs is not worth while unless you plan on using certified equipment everywhere including room design. Its like installing a v10 viper engine in your station wagon. You also need to remember THX certification may not mean a setup is better then the another, it only means the equipment meets and has been certified to reproduce sound in a certain way (being vague so I don't over step my knowledge).

I do want to play music (for the moment just CD) through my setup. I don't think SACD will be an option right now and am not going to focus on it. I had been looking at the DA5ES, DA4ES and Denon 3802. I walked into the mag. hifi and started asking questions about the da5es and the salesperson steered me to the yamaha v1300. Can anyone compare the sony da5es and/or the da4es to the yammie v1300? I have noticed the sony seems to hold value better which may say something about its following and quality. Feature wise, the Yamaha seems to have a bit over the da5es.

Also, should I spend the money on speakers and wait on the receiver? I am trying to play in the $1500 - $2000 range for a reciever and speakers. Where would you put the bulk of the money? or would you split it?

Understanding I need to audition any setup I buy, I am still looking for opinions with reasoning.

If I stated something incorrectly please let me know.

Thanks for the help,
    -Chad