What's new

What Receiver for New 5.1 Andrew Jones Pioneer Setup? (1 Viewer)

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Hi everyone,

So I just bought the 5.1 Andrew Jones Pioneer setup and really love it, but I was told that the new Yamaha VL379 4K Receiver I bought isn't the right one for this configuration. I was advised to do Onkyo or Denon. Can you please give me an opinion of what Onkyo or Denon Receiver to pair with this system that is designed for 4k?

I have a Samsung 65" JS8500 4K TV and Oppo 103-Darbee Blu-Ray Player that I'm pairing it with.

This is going to be mainly used for watching Blu-Ray movies.

Thank you!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I looked through the Yamaha 379 manual and I don't see why the Pioneer speakers wouldn't work right with the receiver. There is even a 6 ohm setting in the menu for you to use since the Pioneers are 6 ohm speakers.

Edit:

I just read the crossover frequency reasons in the other thread, but if you already have the Yamaha you might as well try it out with the system and see if it would work for you.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Wayne_j said:
I looked through the Yamaha 379 manual and I don't see why the Pioneer speakers wouldn't work right with the receiver. There is even a 6 ohm setting in the menu for you to use since the Pioneers are 6 ohm speakers.
Here is what one of the experts on the forum said:

Well...I would have chosen an Onkyo or Denon for variable crossovers(so the towers could be set 60, the center/rear at 80).

Any idea on this? I also noticed when I played Dark Knight Tonight, it didn't show any indication on the receiver that I was getting DTS MA. Are there any other better receivers that I can go with that will be really easy to setup for the best sound and have the right variable crossovers as mentioned above?

Thank you

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Dark Knight has a Dolby True HD track which you have to select manually. It defaults to regular dolby digital.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wayne_j said:
The Dark Knight has a Dolby True HD track which you have to select manually. It defaults to regular dolby digital.
Weird...I have the UK TDK. I'll have to check it.

I'm anal anyway and do setup on every disc before playing.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Wayne_j said:
I did that, I just didn't know if my Yamaha should be displaying anything on the front. All it shows is what input I'm on and what speakers are setup.

Any input on what receiver I should go with? I just got this Yamaha yesterday and want to make the best decision. I have heard getting something with Audessey is really good to have as well. Any recommendations to pair to this Pioneer system?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
iStorm said:
Here is what one of the experts on the forum said:

Well...I would have chosen an Onkyo or Denon for variable crossovers(so the towers could be set 60, the center/rear at 80).

Any idea on this? I also noticed when I played Dark Knight Tonight, it didn't show any indication on the receiver that I was getting DTS MA. Are there any other better receivers that I can go with that will be really easy to setup for the best sound and have the right variable crossovers as mentioned above?

Thank you

I've always felt that Marantz receivers are the easiest to setup and operate, but they're also a bit more expensive. They also come with Audyssey and the multiple crossovers that were previously mentioned, although I think setting all speakers to Small and a single crossover of 80 hz would would work well enough, especially if you replaced the barely adequate Pioneer subwoofer with a BIC or even one from Parts Express. A subwoofer should play down to a minimum 30 hz imo.

Also, try pushing the "Info" button on the remote control. It's supposed to change what's on the front display. Maybe that will help you get DTS MA on the front panel.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Can you or someone else recommend models for me that will effectively crossover? I'm looking at denon, marantz, and onkyo. I want 4k and DTS MA and Dolby True Hd.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Every 2015 AVR is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

You've already been told...

Onkyo with AccuEQ and Denon/Marantz with Audyssey.

The. Particular. AVR. You. Buy. You. Buy. It. Based. On. The. Features. You. Need. Want. Will. Use. PPEERRIIOODD.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Virtually all receiver made over the last 6-7 years support TrueHD and MA.

Most over the last year or two also support some form of 4K. But 4K and 3D video aren't my thing so double check it before you buy.

Marantz doesn't really have an entry level model. The 500x series (like the 5009) start at $899. The Denon S700 and Onkyo 535 both say they support 4K.

Ac4l is is a nice place to look/buy refurbished avr's with a warranty. Many come with free shipping. Here's what they have to offer...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Some even come with a three year warranty like the $329 Denon X-2100

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

and the $449 Marantz 5008

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5008/marantz-sr5008-7.2-network-home-theater-receiver-airplay/1.html

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
I went with a completely different setup and went with a 2014 Denon 2100w since it had all of the features I needed and a $200 savings buying refurbished with a 3 year warranty!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
iStorm said:
I went with a completely different setup and went with a 2014 Denon 2100w since it had all of the features I needed and a $200 savings buying refurbished with a 3 year warranty!

Don't forget about the free shipping!

It truely is a great deal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:
Good luck with your HDCP 2.2 content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks