What's new

What receiver for me? (1 Viewer)

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

I have the JBL S312's as mains with the S-Center in the middle and a pair of S310's as rears. I am wondering what receiver you would recommend for this setup. I am looking at receivers in the $400-$500 range. I would like to have a unit that would put out the best sound with these speakers. Component switching would be nice but is not a must.

Thanks,

Tyler Richenberger

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You might want to look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It's a great middle/low end receiver. It retails for $400, but can be found online for as little as $300 shipped. If you go w/ it, you'll be able to put the $200 you save towards another S-Center or a pair of S26s or S28s for a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

DonJ

Second Unit
IMO i would not buy the pioneer to me they sound awful soundpros.com has the H/K 320 for 495.00 much better.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 811S is highly regarder as a very solid receiver for it's intended market, a middle-low end feature based receiver.

This doesn't mean the 811S doesn't perform w/ power and sound quality. It definatly performs well above it's price range in almost every category.

The only 3 drawbacks i see in the 811S (and none of them bother me too much) is poor bass management (only 100, 150, and 200 crossover settings), no On Screen Display, and a high (on paper, but not audible) distortion of 1% THD.

I have the 811S and love it, mainly for it's features, processing, and 7.1 speaker setup ability, but it's never failed me on power or sound quality, even w/ my fairl low sensitivity (89db), fairl low end (Sony SS-MB300H mains, CN490 center, SS-MB100H Surrounds and Back Surrounds) speakers. I would say my speakers are fairly similar, even though a little lower end, than your set up, so you may be able to draw some parallels in how the 811S would perform in your system.

I hope to move to the Pioneer Elite VSX-43 soon if i can get the money together, just because it looks like an amazing receiver that could last me a long time, and i don't think the 811S will be able to keep up with the DIY speakers i'm planning on building (which is really the way to go if you want high-end sound at a reasonable budget, and have the time/shop knowhow).

If you're interested, i'd sell you my 811S down the road (maybe around thanksgiving) for a pretty good price. It's a little over a month old and still has most of the factory waranty.

Junie

Agent
If I were you I would go out and demo some different units and decide from that. You owe that to yourself if youare going to spend the money. My personal choice would be Marantz You can get a 6200 or a 7200 for under 500.00 {refurbed}
PEACE :cool:

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a Denon 1802 for use with my HT (JBL S-310's in the front and S-36's in the rear) and I am very happy with it. It was $390, shipped. It does not have component video switching. The Denon 2802 is the next step up and does have component switching. It can be had for ~500

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

What dose everyone think of the Denon 1803 and dose it have an on screen display?

Thanks,

Tyler

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the clarity, detail and warmth from the HK AVR320 for the price range. Just another opinion but at the very least give it a listen

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I've narrowed it down to either the marantz 5200 or the Denon 1802 (03). Is the 1803 out yet? Is it available in Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks