What receiver do I purchase for $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-K, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

I have been looking to replace my old two channel Onkyo receiver with a new HT one. I live in a 655 SF condo with paper thin walls. Power is not a big concern of mine. Sound quality is. The manufactures I've been pulling my hair out over is: Marantz (SR5200/SR6200), Outlaw 1050, Onkyo (686), Pioneer Elite (33/35), Yamaha (1200). All of which I have found on the internet in the $500 price range. The receiver will be used for a home theater system as well as to power speakers in my bathroom and patio. For these speaker I will purchase a quality speaker selector. Even with the high end speaker selector I know from experience that a high quality amplifier will be needed. Also, do I need DPII? FYI, The speakers in the main listening area will be Definitive's (2006).

2. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Colin,
    I have 4 pair of speakers in my
    house attached to my Yamaha's 'surround'
    channels. The rear speakers in the main
    room are in-wall Russound units with a
    Russound ALTx-2-126 volume control. The other
    three rooms have Russound ceiling speakers with
    the same volume control. I run the surround channel
    +10db above the main to give some 'headroom' for the
    volume controls.
    Yamaha's 'all channel stereo' DSP is used most of the
    time with music CDs and cable TV. When a DVD is being viewed, we
    usually play DD or DTS 5.1.
    Because the 'house' is connected to the surround channels,
    the only DSP that sounds good in any of the other rooms
    is the 'all channel stereo' DSP.
    When listening to FM radio in the main room, I find the 'jazz club' DSP
    does a pretty good job. However, all of the other DSPs
    seem to add too much echo to the vocals for my taste.
    The only thing my receiver does not have is DPLII, and
    It may well be better than any DSP. I don't know.
    More than you ever wanted to know about DPLII can be
    found here:
    DPLII
    JRS

3. Ashok

Ashok Agent

Colin, just wondering, where did you find the Yamaha RX-V1200 for $500? I can't find it under $600. At $500 it would be a no-brainer to me. It's got you covered with full DPLII, DD-EX, DTS-ES, center channel EQ, and even nice 60MHz component video switching. DPLII is important if you listen to a lot of stereo movie sources, which I do. If you don't, however, and don't require component video switching, I would go with the Outlaw. I've heard nothing but great things about its sound.

4. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Used...

5. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Harman Kardon AVR-320 for $499 from JandR.com [​IMG]

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The Yammy HRT-5490 is the same receiver as the 1200, except no preouts. $510 online.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Breck,

Sorry but I need to correct you on something. You say that the Marantz models mentioned do not have dpl II but in fact all the x200 models do in fact have it. Perhaps you are thinking of the 5000(etc..) models. But I just looked at audioreview and the 5000 and 7000 (among others) have pretty respectable ratings. Could you elaborate on where you are getting your information as I am considering Marantz as an option when I upgrade my receiver. Thanks.

Dan Hine

8. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

First of all I’m sorry if I got any of your hope up for a Yamaha 1200 for $500. The cheapest I’ve seen them is for $650 new. Ashok if you keep your eyes open on ubid.com, you can pick one up for around $500. I just realized I wrote Onkyo (686). It should be a TX-DS696. Also Ashok thanks for you insight. I have heard nothing but good things about the Outlaw sound. And I can’t believe it weight 37lbs. It’s got something. I may just have to buy one to see if I like it. Until recently I would only have bought an Onkyo or a Yamaha, but now there is a lot of good receivers out there. DavidAM, I have heard nothing but good things about the HK’s sound quality, but my concern is that HK’s cannot handle low impedance like the other manufactures that are better choices for driving multiple speakers. EricHaas, I have not heard specifically the RX-V1200 vs. the HRT-5490 though I have heard HRT’s and RX-V’s. I don’t know exactly what it is but there is a difference in sound. I don’t know the reason but if you call Yamaha they’ll tell you the amps are the same but different. It’s strange but I’d like to stick to the RX-V line. I think the quality control is better. Breck, I’ve been hoping to hear some good news about the Marantz guys because I’ve heard they blow others away on sound quality. Also, the latest SR units do have Pro Logic II.

Without being able to compare any one of these mono y mono, my thought on sound quality alone would be in the following order. 1) Outlaw*, 2) Marantz, 2.5) Harmon Kardon 3) Onkyo, 4) Yamaha, 5) Pioneer Elite, 6) Denon

* I have not heard the Outlaw. This is base others opinions.

9. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

Dan/Breck The only two receivers cnet.com gives an editors choice award to is the Marantz SR4200 and the Outlaw. Also, hifi.com gives an editors choice award to the Marantz SR5200. I’ve heard some problems but the word is that Marantz has corrected all the problems.

10. Will C

Will C Auditioning

Hi,

I've got the Marantz 5200 and I think that its great. Like all things others can agree or disagree. But it has DPLII, 6.1. When in stereo mode it bypasses a load of circuitry to give great sound. I looked at the Yamaha 620 and Denon series but this is the one I liked best (and was v. good value) -its remote can even be programmed (if you have the right gear - pretty basic) and doesn't look anywhere as bad as the 6200's remote.

In the final analysis you need to listen to it and decide for yourself.

Rgds

11. Will C

Will C Auditioning

Sorry forgot to add that its younger brother the 4200 won an award for best reciever in what Hi Fi mag in the UK, and the 5200 got a 5* rating in another (forget which)

12. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Great news to hear about the higher models working out well (8200 and I assume 9200) as I would be looking at either those or separates. Thanks for the info guys. It is very much appreciated.

Dan Hine

13. Kerry R

Kerry R Extra

Colin-K,

Where have you seen that Marantz has corrected their X200 problems. I have heard about audio drop outs, popping, and S-Video sync issues. When researching in the $500 price range the SR5200 was my first choice. Their problems have me second guessing. If I can find out for certain that the problems have been resolved then I would be off to the my nearest Marantz dealer to buy one.

Thanks

14. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

The 6200 was my first choice when I was looking for a new reciever but all the problems they were having made me not buy one. I ended up with a HK520 for $610 from JandR and have been very happy. I just didn't want to take the chance and go through all the trouble of fixing my 6200 if it had the same problems everyone else was having.

15. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

Kerry R, I have just heard people talking about Marantz making corrections on audioreview.com and cnet. Specifically, the SR4200 and SR7200.