What's new

What receiver and speakers? (1 Viewer)

Isaiah

Auditioning
A friend of mine purchased a 57" Hitachi UltraVision 57S715 last year. Now this guy can be kind of....uninformed sometimes. Here's an example: I go over to his house to catch Collateral when it came out on DVD. First off, completely pressed back in our seats I think we're barely 1.5x the screen distance. You might figure that should be 'okay'. But he was using an old PS2 as the DVD player running that through a cheap-*** VCR to the HDTV with RCA's. Yeah lol. The picture was horrible as you can imagine. "You spent $2k for that?" I asked him. So a trip down to Video Only for a Progressive DVD player, component video, and a digital coax was going to cure it. With the DVD player plugged directly into the HDTV the picture is infinitely better, I can be very close and it looks quite good. But of course his receiver is a vintage '97 Aiwa home theater in a box. It sounds like its pushing 10 watts to the surrounds. He does have a pair of fairly new looking Yamaha towers, im not sure what model but they have two woofers (6.5" maybe) and a tweeter.
So using the Yamaha towers as the front L+R, he needs a center, rear L+R, a receiver, and most likely a sub. Now with a budget of around $800, what's the best he can get? If you could throw me two descriptions, one with a sub and one without, that would be great.
Thanks, Isaiah

John S

Senior HTF Member
he needs so much.. I'd go for a complete Onkyo 770 system.. Way under your budget, and totally respectable performance.

Isaiah

Auditioning
I've been looking. I know you should have all the same brand/series of speaker, but piece by piece isn't too bad.

Yamaha HTR-5760 $366
Athena AS-C1 Center $143
Athena AS-B1 Bookshelf (pair) $149
Yamaha YST-SW315 10" 250w Sub $202.95 (the Athena 8" sub in this price range seems kind of weak by the stats)

Or is the HTR-5790 worth the extra money that would go toward a sub?

tommy_E

Agent
how u doin isaiah....htr-5790 is worth the extra money....the 5760 is $366? i got my 5790 for $530+shipping..so its $164 more....def worth it

i have the athena AS-C1 and AS-B1 pair..works very nice so i would go with getting the 5790 first... then the athenas whenever u intend too

ciao

Isaiah

Auditioning
He still doesn't know exactly what he wants to do. He does want the 5790 with its full YPAO and beefier chassis/amp. We listened to the Athena B1s at Best Buy, but their set-up and listening area is a joke. They were on sale for $100/pair. I have noticed at a particular website they have Infinity Beta 40 towers for $475 shipped. They also have the Beta 360 center for $200; yes the one with the dual 6.5" woofers that would match the 40 towers perfectly. Some refurbed Alpha 20s can be had for about $150 on Ebay. There are a lot of options out there you just have to look.

tommy_E

Agent
how u doin....
i dunno...everyones different...but from audioadvisor.com...they say"if you have 180 to spend on bookshelves get the athenas"...so i dunno everyones got different views

the best buy by me {yonkers, ny} had the old yamaha HTR-5140 which sucks...so you have to see whats pushing the speakers and what theyre hooked up to. {also had the thinnest speaker wire hooked up :thumbsdown: } so you gotta shop around..i personally like the athenas with the yamaha. but as i see Isaiah..you know about how to shop around.

best buy sucks for "listening to their products" if they had a good f:star: ckin receiver hooked up...then yea its worth it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks