1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

What rear speaker to go with NSP1 and TX-SR600?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Spencer, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I have the NSP1 set and am getting the Sony SA-W40 any day now. I also have the TX-SR600 on order and when it gets here want to eventually put the 6th surround to use. What speaker do you recommend if I only wanted to go with one surround? (Perhaps a 5th N24?) It seems most places only sell them in pairs. Know of anywhere I can get just one for a decent price? (or should I use a second center channel speaker?)

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I doubt you will find just one. Try to buy a demo set of the previous version (Not the II) from a store or look online for a cheap pair, and just keep the extra one around. Since the version II just came out, there are probably places that have the first ones and will get rid of them for less.

3. John Garcia

John
    Another thought, suggested in the NSP-1 post is just getting a pair of N26s for mains. Then use one of the N24s from the front as a rear center. With so few 6.1 titles, there shouldn't be a rush to have 6 speakers right away.

4. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

a pair or n24s cost around the same as a Ncenter from J&Rs (ncenter old version: 110) (pair of n24IIs ~130). its a toss up there, i mean, you could always just keep the second for a back up...

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

good call john, i believe a pair of N26 old versions cost 140 at jandrs. in fact, i maybe doing that in the near future, why? because i cant stop...

6. Jason Spencer

Yea, that was my original plan. But since the deck will only really will run one speaker, I hate to waste the money and end up with a spare. I don't plan to upgrade again for quite a while if I can help it (my current system is a AIWA HSIB I got 10 years ago...). I'll give it a go with 2 of he N24s in series, you never know. If that actually works I may get the N26's.

I love hifi, I just can't bring myself to spend the money I see some of you spending (I'm a tightwad I guess). The shame of it is that this whole setup will only cost a little more than my last one did (minus the tape and cd changer) and sound 1000x better :).

Course my wife would just ask if I really nead it. Guess I can live with what I got (simulated surround, not even DPL)... But I can't stop myself :) Damn this internet!

7. Jason Spencer

On a side note, what has changed in the N??II models from the first series? I knew there was a reason the price was dropping on the NSP1...

8. Jason Spencer

Hmm, which would sound better (for roughly the same price). A rear N24 or a Ncenter? Guess I could always try and ebay the second speaker away to cut the cost a little...

9. John Garcia

John
    I believe Series II have slightly different drivers, not sure about electronics. Some models have revised enclosures, not sure if the N24 & 26 have changed that much though.