What's new

What re-issues do you wanna see in 2002 and why? (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Addendum:
"Pumpkinhead" (MGM/UA HV, 1988) needs a widescreen anamorphic re-issue.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Hunt for Red October - cries out for an enhanced remaster and over-hauled audio. Ditto Crimson Tide and Das Boot.

Outland is another worthy candidate for an overhaul.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The Monkees: Head: There's got to be a better print of this than the piece of garbage Rhino released.
The Wild Bunch: A classic like this deserves a better transfer.
Event Horizon: New transfer and some supplements would be nice.
Romancing The Stone: C'mon, Fox. Anamorphic transfer and 5.1DD would be swell.
Hell In The Pacific: Anchor Bay ought to ditch the unbearable fullscreen version, redo the widescreen and throw in a Boorman commentary.
Straw Dogs: The current non-anamorphic transfer is exceptional, but some supplements would be great.
Silent Running: This cult scifi classic's current disc sucks. And it's out of print!
The Black Hole: Again, ditch the fullscreen version, enhance the widescreen image and throw on some extras.
Island At The Top Of The World: Forgotten Disney gem desperately needs an Anchor Bay revisit.
Adventures Of Baron Munchhausen: Current DVD is adequate, but far from spectacular.
History Of The World Part 1: Hopefully the rumors will pan out and Fox will revisit all of their Mel Brooks titles.
Zardoz: Just kidding, Jeff. :)
The Beatles: Help & Magical Mystery Tour: Current transfers stink.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
The Beatles: Help & Magical Mystery Tour: Current transfers stink.
Jack, what do you feel is wrong with the current edition of Help? It was a fully restored print from the original negatives. I thought it looked rather nice. Just curious about your thoughts. :)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Can we not get Anamorphic reissues of:

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH

SWEPT AWAY

SEVEN BEAUTIES

SEDUCTION OF MIMI

LIFEFORCE

THE HITCHCOCKS

2 of the 3 DOLLARS Trilogy

STARGATE

THE KUBRICKS (yes, I know)

THE GRADUATE

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

PLANET OF THE APES

Decent remasters/SEs of

THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN

FAR AND AWAY

FORBIDDEN PLANET

to name a few off the top of my head

Ive just read that MGM is working on a new SE of

DANCES WITH WOLVES,

details TBA shortly

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Shawshank Redemption- Is any film more deserving of an all-out, balls to the walls SE than this? Alas, it's Warner so our only hope might be the good folks at Criterion.

Christmas Story- Anamorphic would be nice, extras would be even better.

National Lampoons Vacation- See above

Grumpy Old Men- See above

Ferris Bueller- Okay, the one already out is anamorphic and has a nice commentary, but I LOVE this movie and I need more.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut- C'mon, you think the South Park guys wouldn't be willing to revisit their magnum opus (besides Orgazmo)

Apocolypse Now- We need documentaries here, especially the long lost Heart of Darkness doc. I see a three-disc set with the original, Redux and extras.

That about wraps it up, there's probably more, but I won't bore you with them.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Here's my wish list (most need anamorphic transfer)

Broken Arrow

Crimson Tide

Vacation Series

Clear & Present Danger

Hunt for Red October

Patriot Games

Happy Gilmore (OAR version)

Home Alone

Home Alone 2

Mission: Impossible

Spies Like Us

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It is restored (It's a miracle that the film EXISTS...according to Paul Rutan Jr, who restored it, it was technically a LOST FILM before it was restored.) but still has many flaws.

The color is excellent, IMO. The faults are mainly photographed-in damage (all the negative for the opticals was lost, so the grainy dupes had to be used.) and graininess.

I think Miramax owns Help! now (Both it and A Hard Day's Night are OOP, but not the other MPI Beatles DVD's.) and perhaps they can get Lowry Digital Images to bring the restoration to a higher level. Rutan didn't want to use digital restoration at that time for cost reasons and also the fear of screwing up the look of the film...the technology is much better now.

Also, a 1.66:1 matted anamorphic widescreen transfer would be nice (The current DVD is open matte)

Magical Mystery Tour, on the other hand, is awful. Unless Apple lost the negative or something, the print has only OK sharpness. The color and cleanness of the print is dismal. It doesn't help that it's 16mm grainy. (It could have been shot on cheap 16mm stock, though.)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
The Vacation Series
Pulp Fiction
A Christmas Story
Happy Gilmore
Born In East LA
South Park BLU
Breakfast Club

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

"Kiss of the Dragon"-(Fox) 01/22 crys for a re-issue considering the omission of a kick ass dts track- see my thread under Studio and Manufacturer Feedback

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I heartily agree with so many of the titles mentioned above that it's discouraging how many substandard releases have been made.
Anyhow, I'd like to see the expanded version of Spy Kids since I would like to have a copy of this movie, but not the short version.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Stalag 17 SE

An Affair to Remember SE

Also add my voice to the chorus for:

Batman SE

Heat SE

JaleelK

Second Unit
Crimson Tide- DTS anamorphic w/s

Con Air DTS anamorphic w/s

Armageddon DTS anamorphic w/s

Stargate DTS anamorphic w/s

Star Trek Generations anamorphic w/s

Star Trek Undiscovered Country anamorphic w/s

Panther DD 5.1 anamorphic w/s

Titanic DTS anamorhic w/s

The Thing DTS anamorphic w/s

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks