What's new

What quality components should I use in the Zobel networks? (1 Viewer)

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
Since the impedance EQ is in parallel with the driver, is it really necessary to spend a bunch on top-noch components? And would the 12W resistors from PE work in it? I would be running about 50W rms through the crossover. The X-Over itself is a 3rd order Butterworth with the ladder topology of course.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you want to spend $3.5 for a Mills resistor, it might be worth the peace of mind, otherwise $1 for the sandcast resistor is fine.

The Dayton caps should be good enough to use as well. You could always spend alot on the Thetas, AudioCaps, etc but if it's for the Zobel, that's not where I'd put the money (which would be in the caps for the tweeter network).

But I just use the Dayton caps, or high voltage rated Solens with a film/foil bypass cap on the tweeter caps. I'm not dealing with high price esoteric drivers in my endeavors yet, but they are middle of the road $50-$65 drivers in my speakers.

I will admit to having a bias against the cheapo $10-$20 drivers (you wind up paying on the backend in increased crossover component count to tame their behavior).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks