What qualifies a speaker as "full-range?" How low bass response is needed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Sky, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Marc Sky

Marc Sky Auditioning

What qualifies a speaker as "full-range?" How low bass response is needed? 100hz? 90? 80? 65?
    ------------------
    Marc Sky

2. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

A -3dB point in the low 20s and no excursion problems.
    This probably rules out all "book shelf" speakers, and excludes most floor standing models as well.

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Stereophile claims their 'full range' category goes down to 20 Hz while 'restricted LF' to 40 Hz. My take is any system audible to the low 30's is good enough in my book at least for music. [​IMG]
    PF

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

quote: . My take is any system audible to the low 30's is good enough in my book at least for music[/quote]
    The question is what "audiable" means to you?
    Lets just say that there are very few speakers on the market[passive,not the "powered towers"],that can do reference volume at the seats @ the low 20's.
    To answer your question though,yes -3db @ 20hz should qualify for the "large" setting.
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"
    [Edited last by Lewis Besze on August 17, 2001 at 11:27 PM]

5. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

That's right Lewis. With the 3db/20Hz/ref level spec, very, I mean very few speakers even some with built-in SW will make the grade. And that certainly excludes lots of o/w very fine speakers for the purpose of music production. I guess you can interpolate my preference as about 3db/35Hz @ not quite ref level (I don't even play my movies' at anywhere higher than -10). [​IMG]
    PF

6. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

IMO, in-room response should be used. Hence, 'smaller' floorstanders in a small room might be considered full range (or close enought so that the large setting might be an option) since the lower frequencies will be reinforced.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I agree with the room response. My Boston Acoustics speakers are rated - 3dB down to 45 hz anechoic, and yet, I have heard 28 hz from them in my room. I feel some strong impact from my speakers, and so believe I must be getting down to about 34 hz useable freq extention in room and its not bad. In order to play speakers full range, you need lots of power, regardless of the rating in -3 dB point. My speakers can play low, but I noticed with more power, the bass was of course, cleaner and louder overall.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 18, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

8. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

A less than optimum location in the listening room is the compromise of having a sub as part of a full range speaker system in the same cabinet.

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Well, since I've never seen a tower speaker of any kind that can play down to 20Hz at full reference level, I agree that anything that can play fairly loud down to the low 30Hz range is good enough for me. My Velodyne HGS-18 can't produce a 20Hz signal at full reference level. Maybe 2 can, but not one. It can probably get close though.
    Now there may indeed be a full range tower that can play reference level down to 20Hz, but if there is, you can bet it costs a ton of money. But by strict definitions, full range is 20Hz-20KHz. So any speaker that can reproduce that is full range. Reference level throughout that range is another story.

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

In addition, however, many speakers can do mid 40's and even 30s with test tones, but can they do it at real levels while outputting fullrange signal?
    My old floorstanding speakers could do a 35hz sine at the same level as 150hz, but couldn't keep up when doing Pink noise- and really couldn't keep up when playing complex signal like music!
    I would say that without a dedicated amplifier and without a dedicated low freq driver (not just a single cone handling 20hz-2k) you'd be lucky to get real level sub 50hz that would properly keep up with the rest of the fullrange signal.
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
    [Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 18, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer