What's new

What PVR is best for my situation? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeVT

Agent
Ok what should I get (Replay, Tivo, or some other brand?). I have digital cable and would be installing the PVR to my home theater (Toshiba 51 inch HD Widescreen TV). I have heard of a HD Tivo coming out...is this true and if so when/how much and should I wait for it? I have cable modem in my house and have wireless router upstairs (TV would be downstairs) just in case that matters for downloading content. So any advice on which is better and why would be greatly appreciated. I dont want the recorded shows to look horrible on my big tv and just trying to see if right now the best time for me to take PVR plunge.

Thanx

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So any advice on which is better and why would be greatly appreciated. I dont want the recorded shows to look horrible on my big tv and just trying to see if right now the best time for me to take PVR plunge.
In my opinion, switch to DirecTV and the DirecTivo. Upgrade to the HD DirecTivo when it comes out. It will be the only way for you to record HD from the premium channels like HBO, Showtime or ESPN. The stand alone Tivo did not have a QAM tuner listed on the press release so it will not record HD over cable.

-Robert

John KG

Auditioning
Am I correct in assuming the "soon" to be released (maybe early next year) DirecTV HDTV Tivo will have a DVI connector required to view pay-per-view and premium channel (HBO/Showtime) HDTV recordings?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DirecTV has dropped the price of the DirecTivo and offering a 30 day money back guarantee. link If they are going to drop it, why waste money promoting it. Most people think the contract with Tivo runs until 2007. link By the time the contract is up, there will be a considerable number of Tivo users who will be quite upset if they lose service. In 2007 when the contract is up, they may not sell any more Tivos but they will still support them. Look at UltimateTV. The DirecTV/Microsoft contract was dropped about a year ago and those receivers are still working. Dishnetwork still keeps their Dishplayer working even though they haven't sold any since 2000.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks