What proper Rumble Filter setting freq w/ 350w amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bruin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

I have a 350w amp from Brian with a rumble filter that can be set to high, mid, low damping and 28, 20, 14hz. I currently have a 20-39CS powered by it. I am planning to buy another amp for a DIY sub tuned to 22hz w maybe the 12" Dayton DVC.

So is it ok to set it to 20Hz and high damping? Or what are your opinions. My listening preference is 50/50 music/movies.

2. bruin

bruin Second Unit

It's working great with the 20-39 CS. I use the 20hz with mid damping setting on the CS. I only have the gain set at 9am and 0db on my receiver. It's a very powerful and versatile amp.

3. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

bruin,
    I'm about to jump on this amp and have a few questions on bypassing the Rythmiks x-over.

How do you find the Rythmiks x-over interaction with your receivers x-over settings?

4. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Tom,

I don't think I'm much of an expert on your question. Hopefully someone will help you out.

5. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

Thanks for the reply bruin.

I was just wandering if you had set the Rythmiks x-over to its highest setting to bypass it in favor of using your receivers x-over, and how it sounded.

The Rythmik not having a x-over bypass/direct-in is the only apprehension I have about choosing it.

And, do you have any thoughts/opinion's on the OP Amp upgrade Rythmik is offering?

Thanks,

6. Brian_DR

Brian_DR Extra

Having an additional xover adds to the flexibility. In the on-line maunal for SE amp, I show how this xover can help you when one likes to set subwoofer volume 6db (or even higher) than the front channel (most of us do that). Essentially what this does is to bring down the frequency response earlier so that when it reachs the actual xover point, the level matches each other.

Actually, there are 3 reasons why additional xover will help you. The first one has been discussed above. The 2nd reason is that frequency response of front channels most likely has high Q values. That means when it goes down to say 80hz, it tilts up before rolling -off. The impact is the response after HT's high pass filtering will extend a bit lower than what it is specified, which means there will be more overlap in xover region. The additional xover will reduce the overlap.

The 3rd reason is on the subwoofer response. These days, subs with high inductance are very popular. The result of high inductance is there will be a bump in the frequency response in the 70-100hz range. Again this will add to the overlap in the xover region.

Brian DR
    Rythmik Audio

7. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

Wow Thanks Brian!

I actually had read your on-line manual today and your excellent description of phase/x-over interaction and settings. It was very helpful and informative.

I'll be making my Rythmik purchase first thing tomorrow, but would like an opinion of the OP Amp upgrade.
    I think I would favor the tighter/punchier bass without the TLo72 OP amps, but also don't want to sacrifice its musicality(sp?)

Thanks again Brian,

8. Brian_DR

Brian_DR Extra

People always wonder if OP amps really affect sound. In really they do. People who claim cannot hear difference most likely have problems in the equipment chain so the differences were masked out.

Anyway, RC4558 (the one in PE and other similar plate amps) has a sound like this. It is clean. But it chops off the
    resonance of instrument. For instant, if there is only single note, on TL072, it sounds like there are resonance after initial attack (all instruments do, I believe people call it overhang). But on RC4558, the resonance is completely (or almost) gone. Only the initial attack is left.

9. Tom Held

Tom Held Agent

Thanks again Brian for clearing this all up for me and the great DIY support your offering.

I'm off to Rythmik Audio![​IMG]