What projector to use?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chad F, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Chad F

Chad F Auditioning

I've been planning/researching equipment, among other things, for my dedicated HT.

The construction of the room should start in 3-4 weeks.

I'm on a strict budget and have allowed $3000 for a projector.

I've narrowed my search to 3 projectors:
    1) Sony vpl-hs51
    2) Panasonic AE700U
    3) Sanyo PLV-Z3

Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? Reasons why? I'm having a tough time choosing between the 3.

Other info: Going with between a 106" - 120" screen. Dimesnion of room is 14'W x 18'L. no external lights in room.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Have you read the reviews at Projectorcentral.com?

3. Chad F

Chad F Auditioning

I've read so many reviews of these projectors, that my head is starting to spin. I've actually been following the Sony & Panasonic for some time. I've seen the HS51 in action, but have not seen the other 2. There aren't too many places in KNoxville, TN to view (not that i've found anyway).

I'm leaning heavy toward the Sony right now, with the Pannasonic in 2nd.

The Banding problem, white flash problem in teh Panny makes me worry. There is only about $800 difference but the Panny comes with 1 yr warranty compared to a 2yr with teh Sony...Is that enough to make a differnce? I don't know, I will make my mind up sometime next week.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, there are tradeoffs with all of these projectors.

The Sony probably has the best contrast of all of these. It is also the most expensive. It also has the lowest light level of these projectors. But, considering you have a light controled room, this shouldn't be an issue.

The Panny and the Sanyo are reportedly pretty close picturewise, with the edge going to the Panny. The Panny is more flexible with placement, while the Sanyo has a better lens shift mechanism.

The 1 yr warranty seems to bother a lot of people. The Sanyo, BTW, has a 3 year warranty.

Jason

5. Chad F

Chad F Auditioning

I think I've made up my mind and will go with the Sony.

My last projector was the NEC VT540, so it should be a huge upgrade.

Anyway, I'll order it next week and hopefully start construction on the room in a couple of weeks.

6. Randy C Sr

Randy C Sr Stunt Coordinator

I use the BenQ PE8700. I'm very satisfied with it.

7. Chris McGyver

Chris McGyver Auditioning

I still haven't decided which projector to get, but made the decision to finish my theater before making the purchase.
    You never know what will come out, or what the prices will do.
    I'm almost done now, and it's time to buy.

I've been leaning toward the Panny 700, and at this point this decision will save me the $200 rebate I would have missed had I pulled the trigger when I started construction.

I had to totally finish my basement, a 4 month project in my case.
    Not sure what you are faced with, but just thought I'd pass that advice on.

8. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the same boat. My project was originally planned as a 2-3 week project. I'm now into about week 4, and I'd guess I'm about 1/4 of the way done. [​IMG]

There are a couple of DLP projectors coming out in the next month or so (the Toshiba MT700 and the BenQ 7700 come to mind) that may really change the cost equation for 1280x720 DLPs. I'm to the point now that even if my room was completely done (ha!), I'd wait a little bit to see how they look when they come out. My understanding is that the Toshiba is shipping now and the BenQ is expected to be available in April.

9. Mike.N

Mike.N Extra

Just got the Toshiba MT700 last week. Haven't said much since others have in other forums I unusually prowl.

I needed something fast my old projector had just died.

When my wife first saw the image on the screen she remarked how much more film like it was! no prompting on my part. This is without calibration - I'll get to that in a couple of weeks and report back.