What programs need C-Dilla?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I was running Spybot Search & Destroy for the first time, and it found something called C-Dilla, which is made by Macrovision.

It said that C-Dilla is required by certain programs, and if I removed it, a program that might need it would stop working. But it did not provide a list of programs that require C-Dilla. Does anyone know if such a list exists?

(When I looked for C-Dilla in Google, I found numerous references to some kind of tax software (I think it was TurboTax), but I am not using any tax software.)

2. Craig Forsythe

Mechwarrior 4:Mercenaries.

A bone of contention for all online players as we accuse it of causing framerate lag.

I know a tax program uses it too, but the specific one and year eludes me.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Turbo Tax for tax year 2002 - last year's edition. Intuit got their collective asses chewed out because of it, too.

4. Jeff Jacobson

I've never installed any Mechwarrior or tax software.

Does Interactual DVD Player use C-Dilla? I used to have it installed on my computer, but I removed it.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I believe there's a hidden (or hidden and system) directory on the C: drive, c-dilla or c_dilla. If you can check the directory listing, with either Explorer or the command line, and see the date that the directory was added, and then check your Program Files for something installed at the same time, that might help figure it out.

//Ken

6. Jeff Jacobson

Good idea.

The C_DILLA folder was created on 10/16/2003. However, nothing in my Program Files folder was created on that day.

Perhaps I've already uninstalled whatever program installed C_DILLA.

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Do you remember installing anything at that time?

You could simply rename the directory, reboot, and then try running all your programs. If something fails, you've found it, and can rename it back. Of course, if you have a lot of programs, that could take a while....

Or just rename it, and leave it there for a few months or so. If you haven't run into any problems, then delete it.

//Ken