1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

what pre/pros are capable of full range output on all speakers w/ sub engaged

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Mundt, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Mike Mundt

Mike Mundt Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking around and have my mind set on the Anthem AVM20 to go with my 4 Def Tech BP2006TL's and CL2300 center channel. I know alot of receivers/(some)pre/pros do not allow you to play your speakers full range (despite the fact that they are set to "large") when the subwoofer option is engaged on the receiver/pre pro. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is an issue with the Anthem AVM20 also. As some of you know, Def tech BP towers and CLR 2300 center have a built in subwoofer each and are full range. But i'm also planning on getting a seperate subwoofer later and want to make sure I can still send every bit of LFE information to my fronts while having a subwoofer.

I'm also open to any other choices for pre/pros you can suggest to me for various reasons.

2. Jim_P

Jim_P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike:

I can't speak about the Anthem, as I have a B&K Ref 50 and am more familiar with its operation.

In the Ref 50's setup menu, you can define your speakers as large and your subwoofer as Ultra to make your bass information go to both your sub and your full range speakers.

Something you should probably think about though, is that below 50 hertz, your stand alone sub, not the built in sub, is likely to be more efficient and it frees up your built in def tech subs to work better at lower frequencies. Also, the built in sub on the 2006s actually kick in at something much higher than 90 hz, so it's working when you wouldn't expect it too.

I also have a pair of BP2006s that i've used with a M&K V-125 wired in line with the M&K set at a 50 hz crossover. Worked very good.

On the Ref 50 and I'm pretty sure on the Anthem, you can set the subwoofer crossover setting other than at the THX 90 hz. Design idea is that it give you the flexibility to intergrate your sub more seamlessly. In the real world, the standard THX setting seems to be fine.

3. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I know you specifically said pre/pro, but the
    Rotel RSX-1065 receiver has a 'MAX' setting that allows what you are referring to. They also make several pre/pros that are highly regarded and may include this feature. You might want to check them out...

4. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

To answer your question about the Anthem specifically; yes, you can set all speakers to "large", then choose "Super" in the subwoofer setup. This will allow all speakers to receive a full-range signal, and still send their bass (from one selected frequency, 25 - 160 Hz) to the subwoofer.

Check the updated Anthem thread for the newest features, due with the 2.10 release... I can't wait, especially for the option to (finally) run separate configurations for music and cinema...

5. Mike Mundt

thanks for everyones help....

Lee-M: shouldn't the subwoofer receive frequency range down to 20 Hz?

6. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Aragon's pre/pro allows you to set speakers to large and run a sub.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Mike,

8. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

Thanks for clarifying my description; I had to check the manual for confirmation of that frequency range, but I forgot about the full-range option. I suspect you have the full manual memorized by now [​IMG]

Lee-M

BTW, I've downloaded v. 2.10, and plan to upload it to my Anthem in the morning... it's Christmas in July!

9. Mike Mundt

haha, ya ive read it over a few nights in a row. When you get something like that home, your to excited to sit down and read pages.