What's new

what pre/pro do you have and do you like it? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Before I bought my Sherwood, which I got extremely discounted, I also considered the excellent Harman/Kardon Signature 2.0. It was inadequate for my needs as far as inputs and outputs went. Not enough S-Video switching, no AC-3 RF input for LaserDisc, no Phono input, and only one tape loop other than the VCR. Instead of buying a pre/pro that did not fit my needs I waited and got the Sherwood when they discontinued them. If I had bought the Signature I would have posted "I don't like it because..." but instead I got a pre/pro to perfectly match my setup.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I guess, unless you use $3000+ pre/pros, there is not much of point of using dedicated pre/pros?
I would tend to disagree. If your looking for all the latest and greatest features then sure you would have to spend that kind off money. But for someone just geting into HT or planning to upgrade to seperates then sub $1000 pre/pro's are a must. For what I paid for my Marantz AV560, I got exactly what I was looking for(DD/DTS). I honestly don't see the need for all these other formats right now.

Kevin

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I have the the Anthem AVM-20. Waiting for the Ultra 2 upgrade. Upgraded from the Ref 30. I liked both, but I thought the featurs and sound of the AVM-20 was worth the upgrade money.

In the price range of these processors being listed, I dont think you will find someone who says, "I don't like it". All this stuff is good. They are just different. And in some cases, not that much different.

RichardMA

Second Unit
I had an Angstrom ($4000/Pro-Logic)and didn't like it.
I had a (the first in Canada) Denon AVP-8000 and didn't like it.
I had a Yamaha DDP-1 and liked it alot.
I had a Yamaha 3090 and liked it alot.
I had a Rotel RSP-960AX and liked it alot.
I had a Sony SPD-9ES and liked it alot.
I have two Sony TA-E2000ES's and like them alot.
I have a Sony TA-E9000ES (Coupled to an ADA 6.1)and like it alot

-Rich

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AVM 20 and love it. I spent many months researching and listening before an in home trial convinced me this was the pre/pro which met my needs and expectations. With very good two channel sound, excellent DD & DTS performance what's not to love?

The other factor which sold me on this unit is its flexibility and upgrade-ability. I plan on keeping this unit for many years, upgrading source and display components, and expanding into other zones. I plan on having a great time over the next few years using the AVM 20 as a platform to assemble a complete household system. Given the units timers I even mentioned to my wife setting zone 3 in our bedroom and using it as an alarm clock, etc. At this point she suggested I seek professional help.

Wayne

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Given the units timers I even mentioned to my wife setting zone 3 in our bedroom and using it as an alarm clock, etc. At this point she suggested I seek professional help.
LOL! I've had the exact same conversation.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I use my pioneer elite 49tx as a pre/pro it just keeps blowing me away every day, I especially like the ultra 2 feature and mcacc room calibration it really takes ht to a new level:emoji_thumbsup: no dislikes;)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would someone please contact me when a post appears saying "I have xxxx and don't like it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Even the ex-Bose owners in this forum (there are plenty of them) won't admit to themselves that it sucks."

I use to own 901s and hated them (they were a hand me down gift) and I literally threw them in the trash (before I knew about internet selling).

I have a Parasound AVC-1800, I like it, simple and clean

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here comes the usual question that everyone's been anticipating. :)
Rotel RSP1066 + Rotel RMB1075(120w) = ~$2,600
Denon 4802 (125w) = ~$2,500 (retail- no internet pricing)
Marantz 9200 (140w) = $2,999
Do you you see Rotel combo clearly beating Denon and Marantz, honestly?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Looks like I'm the first to have a TagMaLaren AV32R. Its the basic version with no upgrades(yet). Love the design and styling, the sound quality(surround or stereo), the TMS5 mode, the sound quality, the flexible setup, the sound quality, the basic included features. Did I also mention the sound quality? :)
A couple of things could be, and some already have been improved upon though.
RCA inputs too close together, WBT connectors are hence hard to use, though still possible
Lack of analog bypass(bp192 upgrade fixes this)
Lack of 5.1 analog inputs(bp192 upgrade fixes this)
Lack of DPL2(bp192 upgrade fixes this)
Still has 24/96 DACs rather than 24/192(bp192 upgrade fixes this)
Bass management could be more flexible
Lack of component video input/switching(av192r upgrade will fix this)
As you can see, most of its shortcomings are addressed by the bp192 upgrade which I plan to get if the price is right...

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm already in the dark ages with my Rotel RSP-976, but it suits my needs. 5.1 DD, DTS, Dolby Surround and a couple of music DSPs. I got mine when dealers started getting rid of demo stock in preparation for the 1066.

Don't like: unfriendly GUI; split second audio delay as the 976 decides which sound format is playing. Plus, there is no analog bypass unless going through the 5.1 inputs. Not a big deal to me since I have a dedicated two-channel system.

John H

Second Unit
I am currently using a Pioneer VSX-49TX receiver for pre/pro use. It replaces a Parasound AVC-2500.
I have been waiting for the C1 controler in their new HALO line to make it's debut.

I have been very pleased with the 2500 but needed a change. The Pioneer is a very impressive piece.

John

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I vote for the 1066 and rotel (or similar amp). I just like seperates and the flexibility

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I own a Classe SSP-25 pre/pro. The main reason I bought it was for its excellent 2 channel performance.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
John H, I'm surprised you actually went from a Prepro to a receiver. Many would say its actually a downgrade, especially when you're talking about Parasound's top of the line prepro compared to the Pioneer Elite receiver(also top of the line, albeit still a receiver). Did you find any audible differences? I'm sure the Pioneer should win in the features, ease of use and setup department.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks