What pre/pro>amp should I be looking at

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott cerv, Mar 26, 2002.

1. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into buying a new system and have the B&W DM-604S3, DM-602S3, LCR600S3 in mind. After many listens to others I find these meet a) my budget and b)2 channel needs.

I'm looking at the Marantz AV9000/MM9000 combo (hate the visable front RCA input's), Outlaw 950 (when it arrives) w/ its matching amp (sorry forget model #), Rotel RSP1066/RMB1075 combo and a Denon 4802. I would like an amp that is upgradeable as far as new formats, low freq. crossover allowed in 2 channel mode (lower than 80Hz), DD and DTS formats (obvious) and that seems to be about it. Oh, IT MUST SHINE IN 2-CHANNEL MODE as I like to listen to a lot of music, but the WAF is getting from buying a 2 channel system.

Thanks,

SC

2. scott cerv

scott cerv Stunt Coordinator

please someone help me out!

3. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion is look at the Outlaw 950/755 combo and the Denon 4802 receiver. The Outlaw combo will probably be the best separates for the money, and the Denon is probably the best receiver in that price range.

4. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget the Anthem AVM20 if you have the budget. I still flip back and forth between its conveniences and upgradability and the Outlaws apparent great sound and phenomenal value.

5. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Although I am getting the Anthem this week, I would not exactly call $3200 a budget item. The 950/755 combo would be under $2000 together.

6. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't aware a 'budget' had a specific dollar amount attached to it. I simply indicated if he had the money for it, the Anthem was a very nice pre/pro. The Outlaw 950/755 will actually cost $2099, which is still less than the cost you will pay for the Anthem; depends on your personal preferences whether it is worth it or not.

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Not sure about the Marantz or Rotel, but the Denon has the pure direct mode that contributes to good stereo. In pure direct mode the 4802 shuts down video or DSP sections for best sound quality.

Artie

8. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

Dont count out one of the best amps for the money, the Sherbourn 5/1500A.
    Sherbourn 5/1500A review
    I realy like the Sherboun, and I have never looked back on my purchase. The review includes a place to get this at a great deal!
    Fred

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you're really patient you can wait until the new Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro comes out in September (probably followed closely by a Marantz model and whatever other brands S/N OEMs). If my 9080 is any indication you will be hard pressed to do better, particularly in stereo mode. The Sherwood that I have now does all bass management and tone in the analog domain and only switches to digital when a DSP is engaged. The 9080 is renowned for clean analog stereo performance and it really shines in this capacity.

10. Frank Cheh

Frank Cheh Extra

For some reason everyone overlooks the Marantz AV9000/MM9000 system. After listening (not auditioning) several different systems, the Marantz in stereo or direct mode with M&K speakers was outstanding. Imaging was perfect, balance right on all with absolutely no noise. Does not DolbyII but who cares.