What's new

What Pleases You? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK... so in that first photo... is there a major intersection just off to the left? That traffic looks to be backed up at least 1/4 mile or more! I'd *hate* to be caught in that!
Major artery Oxford Street is just a few hundred yards down from our place, and yes, traffic on that street gets extremely congested, and vehicles often cross into the middle of pedestrian crossings at intersections, which makes driving all the more treacherous. It's one of the main aspects of living down here that our son hates, but that's for the 'other' topic. :)

Traffic is somewhat lighter in our area during the College/University summer break (Both Fanshawe College and the University of Western Ontario are near or alongside Oxford Street East!), or at least that's how it appeared during the month of August, when we first moved down to London. It did get quite noticeably heavier in September.

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My father had to go for his breathing test at St. Francis in Greenville yesterday, and I dreaded such a thing, because I thought I would have to push a big, heavy wheelchair up to the elevator, wheel it in, go up to the 3rd floor, and wheel it out (all with him in it). Yesterday, however, my fears were alleviated very much when I discovered that St. Francis has a new kind of wheelchair called a Staxi (that's the brand name). You don't get in it like you would an ordinary wheelchair; you get in it from the side, and the one who is transporting you presses up on a handle to make it go, and when you want to stop, the operator gently lets go of the handle.

The fact that St. Francis had this made what would have been a stressful hospital visit for me (taking my father up there for his breathing test) much less stressful; if only Hillcrest Hospital in Simpsonville would get that kind of wheelchair, every future hospital visit for my father would be much less of a burden on me!

Here's how the Staxi works, and why it pleased me that St. Francis had this newer wheelchair:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
^That's perfect for health care. Easy to get in/out, place for your stuff, no huge wheel to get in the way, and it looks easy to push.

Glad you agree! It's also difficult to steal, because you can't fold it up like an ordinary wheelchair, and therefore, it stays where it belongs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After working a 12 hour day, commuting 2 hours home (1 hour of which was burnt going about 5 miles), sleeeping less than 2 hours, then working an almost 14-hour day, I’m greatly pleased by the burrito with white cheese sauce and salsa verde accompanied by the gigantic ice cold mug filled to the brim with Dos Equis which is sitting before me. From a dining standpoint, it simply doesn’t get better than this.

Reactions: PMF

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
2 things come to mind recently.. One, I have been able to put more money than usual in savings recently .. Ive been able to get Single Side Dukes of Hazard DVD for all seasons. In so doing, I remember a simpler time growing up when watching car chases was fun. Communication was also less expensive .. Speaking over a CB is free as opposed to large Cellphone Bills we have now days. .. Watching DOH inspired me to buy several CB Radios last year. Now if I could just find time to tune the Antenna and use them :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One more thing newspaper-related: my sister-in-law's father Mr. Bill Loe got me a recent edition of The Florida Times-Union from Jacksonville, FL (I received it through my nephew); it's a product of GateHouse Media. I had a look at the layout of it, and I'll be honest about this: of the three newspaper chains that have one-size-fits-all layouts for all their papers (McClatchy, Gannett, and GateHouse), I think I like this company's layout the most.

Here is the layout scheme of GateHouse's papers, from that Florida Times-Union (picture is quite blurry, owing to being taken from my phone):

gatehousepaperlayout.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A few things this week:

- My first teeth cleaning in almost a year. It's also pretty awesome to be within a 5 minute walk of the Dentist's office, especially during a steady snowfall! :D

- Picked up my new Kingston Solid State Drive this week. Everything on my Acer Aspire PC Laptop runs so much faster now, and Windows 10 took just over a half hour to install from start to finish! Of course, I'm typing this post on my inherited Google Pixel Mobile Device!! :D:D

- I hate to say this one as it might jinx things, but my coughing has been much less frequent and bothersome today! :)

- For the first time in decades, it feels like Spring is just around the corner at the end of February, despite this week's snowfall.

- The idea of the Juno Awards (Canada's equivalent to the Grammys!) being held on March 17 at the Budweiser Gardens, which is less than a mile down the road from us, is also pretty cool! :cool:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Finally getting to see papers from Down Under, thanks to my brother's coworker at his job:

--The Sydney Morning Herald

sydneyherald1.jpg

sydneyherald2.jpg

--The Australian
australian.jpg

What pleases me about these is that, prior to getting these, I had only seen the front pages of papers from Australia, and had never actually read one; now, I can see what two of them are like, and that pleases me immensely.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That being greeted with a Random Windows 10 Update is often a mere momentary inconvenience, rather than waiting for what often seems like an eternity. I should have got a Solid State Drive for my PC Laptop years ago!

My ONN Wireless Keyboard, which set me back less than $20, has thus far, proven to be a surprisingly pleasant experience; much more so than my previous Blackweb Keyboard. which was a nightmare of constantly having to strike the same key multiple times for virtually every word typed. Ergonomically, it's far better than what I could have reasonably expected for the low price!

For the first time in a very long time, it actually feels like Spring before the first official day! Living up north for 26 years, it was often late April or well into May before it really felt like Spring. This is one change that both the Mrs and I agree is a significant positive! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hulu-- right now, I'm on a free trial of that streaming video service (it'll run me $13/mo. for the no-ad plan once the free trial is out), and so far, so good; it has more stuff that I want to see (Hunter, St. Elsewhere), and as such, I'll be more than pleased to pay that $13/mo. (it's far more worth it than Netflix, that's for dang sure)!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I went to the Local Wal Mart this afternoon and saw a Great selection of TV on DVD Had Streets of San Francisco Complete Series for $39.96

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508