What player offers the best performance for S-video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon-C, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

What current dvd players offer the best S-video interlaced performance. I own a standard JVC 32"(S-video and composite) TV and don't forsee upgrading to HDTV in the near future. Which models offer the best film AND video pq in this scenario. I am considering the following models JVC FA90, Panny RP62, and the Sony NS755 but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jon. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

I'm afraid there is not going to be a clear winner just using SVideo performance. DVD's carry their video frames already separated so the players really dont have a lot to do with it (other than decoding/pull-down type stuff). They are all going to look good, and even if one unit has slightly weak output, you compensate for this by adjusting your TV.

So I would suggest you look at other issues/features to select one unit over the other.

Some possible critera to use:

- Which machine has the faster internal CPU? The faster machines tend to do a bit better job reducing artifacts.

- Which machine automatically picks the DD 5.1 soundtrack from a disk vs ones that make you select it with every disk?

- Which machine handles the layer-change better?

- Which machine has a better mix of outputs (coaxial and optical digital)?

- Which machine has a better feeling remote (or a universal remote)?

These are all better criteria to use.

Good Luck.

3. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info, Bob. [​IMG]