What's new

What Player and TV for 4K UHD and 3D? (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy Folks,

I’m thinking of going 4K UHD and 3D for my viewing pleasure. What I’d like are some recommendations as to hardware, I guess - what kind of player as well as what kind of TV/monitor.

Thanks much.

Brad V.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Bought my display primarily for 3D efficiency as I've discovered that passive OLED UHD 4K technology resolves 3D detail perception extremely well, bringing out detail in both bright and the harder-to-resolve dark image environments and not contributing added ghosting artifacts.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I recommend buying FALD or OLED if you can afford it. Very happy with the Vizio P50 here, don't discount Vizio because it's Vizio.

Samsung E8500 is basically your only deck choice right now.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Numerous UHD flat panels.

You'd want to be future proof for DolbyVision, run HDR.

There is no UHD Blu-ray player that I'm comfortable recommending at this time.

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Isn't there only one UHD player in existence right now (the Samsung), and doesn't it not support regular BD3D? At the moment, it seems like you're either going to have to wait a few months to a year for a UHD player that also supports BD3D, or pick up both the Samsung and a separate BD3D player.

My advice, which is rather boring, is wait if you can on the UHD player. There should eventually be a player made that will do everything you want.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Isn't there only one UHD player in existence right now (the Samsung), and doesn't it not support regular BD3D? At the moment, it seems like you're either going to have to wait a few months to a year for a UHD player that also supports BD3D, or pick up both the Samsung and a separate BD3D player.

Wrong the Samsung UBD-K8500 does support 3D just fine. It is your only choice however right now. I would recommend at a min you should get HDR10 but if you want to protect yourself for sure you should get Dolby Vision. However, that limits your choices.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I'm enjoying my setup. LG 65EF9500 (UHD plus full res passive 3D). Oppo BDP-103 universal disk player (2d, 3d, DVD-A, SACD, but as of March, not quite universal anymore). The Samsung - solely as a UHD disk player, still use the Oppo for everything else. If you really want to see what the latest technology is all about, I wouldn't wait for a UHD player that can do it all, but just get the currently available one as a supplement to your regular player. Makes it super easy to do A/B comparisons by starting the disks at the same time and just switching inputs at the TV. Like Paul above, I am a firm believer at this point in the passive 3D capabilities of this TV. In addition to the picture benefits that he touts, the glasses are so much more comfortable (and less expensive) and they never run out of their charge halfway through the movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

My advice, which is rather boring, is wait if you can on the UHD player. There should eventually be a player made that will do everything you want.

Unfortunately, and Samsung has not been able to attend to the problem, except to insist that the only cables I must use are Monster high speed, their player does not properly play all normal, mass-produced Blu-rays.

I agree.

Wait.

RAH

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Unfortunately, and Samsung has not been able to attend to the problem, except to insist that the only cables I must use are Monster high speed, their player does not properly play all normal, mass-produced Blu-rays.

I agree.

Wait.

RAH

I'm running Monoprice High Speed HDMI cables no issues. I will admit I have only played a few Blu-ray discs in it. I have been using it mostly for the 4K UHD discs. However, I didn't have any issues with the ones I played, including the 3D discs. I have been using it for streaming as well with no issues. Overall it seems like a pretty solid unit to me. There will be better units coming and I plan on upgrading to the Oppo when it comes out. I still use my Oppo 103 to play my Blu-rays.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm curious, but until someone I trust releases a player (Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Oppo), I shall remain so.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Without a doubt!

My advice remains as it has been. Purchase 4k, along with the Blu, and run 4k once it's ready for prime time.

That's most likely my path to upgrade. I did that with Blu-ray 3D; I started buying those versions a couple years before I got a 3D TV.

If I have to pick just one, as seems to be the choice for most titles, I'll take the BD in 3D over the 4K in 2D. But when/if 2D titles I'm interested in start coming out in 4K combo packs, and include all of the bonus features on the regular BD disc, and cost roughly the same, that'll be how I get in. I have no immediate plans to upgrade but at some point I'll need a new TV and by then 4K will be the only thing being offered, so might as well future proof myself when cost effective.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I will pickup some of these 4K titles that interest me and eventually upgrade my display.
Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits offers his thoughts on the 4K format, an interesting read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zola_88
Recent bookmarks