What ping is too slow on Xblive?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Keith Frederick, May 26, 2003.

1. Keith Frederick

Keith Frederick Stunt Coordinator

My ping is 111ms on average. My upload speed is 85Kbs. I've been getting lag lately, and even denied from games because my speed is too slow. Do I have an inadequate ping or upload speed? Have other people been denied entry into a match because of their speed?

2. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

upload is the problem
    i have the same problem. Is 85 your pc's upload or your xbox dashboard upload?

3. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Where to begin?

4. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Try servers closer to home?

5. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

My connection is good for every game but wolfenstein really. Only can host 8 on it with little lag problems. I was looking around the other day for DSl with high uploads. One place has it but its more then double what i pay for cable

capt

7. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

8. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I wish I knew what was up the the XB. I was getting so frustrated with RTCW when I had it, and there's no real way to know if the problem lies with you connection, the server, or something with the XB or software itself.

The thing that I find the silliest is these game's stupid Red, Yellow, Green system for reporting connection quality. I know it's trying to be easy to use, but at least have the option of giving me a number so I can figure out for myself how good or bad it is.

Anyway, I fiddled around with my connection and ran a bunch of tests using the XB dashboards test (which of course is supposed to be unreliable) and no matter what I did, I had pretty constant Upload (55kb) and pings. My DSL upload speed on the same night was over 400kb.

And in RCTW, it seemed like I'd find 3 or 4 "green" servers out of the whole bunch, half of which would be full, the other half I wasn't fast enough [​IMG]

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to Hardware.

11. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

12. Ed Werner

Ed Werner Stunt Coordinator

The only game I have ever had a problem with with any consistancy is TC Ghost Recon, but so does all the rest of the world. [​IMG]

Crap game programming, but would be a blast if it ran right. Other than that, I have never had a problem with any of my online games. Other then when the wife decides to play a computer game and not tell me).

MechAssault
    Unreal
    NFL 2k3
    NHL 2k3

SoCom

I have AT+T (soon to be Comcast here) broadband and I have adequate upload and awesome download speeds. I have a refirbed Xbox w/ orig manufacturer date of Oct 02 (do they put a new date sticker on it when they refirb it, anyone know?)

Just thought I would share.

--Ed

*edit* I guess I forgot to add some relevent info. Here is a test history from DSLreports.com :

2003-05-23 19:07:54 Speed test (ec) 1685/173 kbps
    2003-03-03 16:19:04 Speed test (ec) 1727/171 kbps
    2003-03-03 15:48:18 Speed test (la) 1772/68 kbps
    2003-03-03 15:46:33 Speed test (ec) 1727/171 kbps

EC is East Coast test server, LA well, is of course west coast. It does seem as though the pings are better (lower) if you are closer as well as better upload/download. I will run another test from home soon to the LA server again and see how well I fare and share it with you guys. I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

I have my internet also routed through a supplied RCA cable modem from ATT then through a Linksys router (BEFSR41) running to my HT to a Linksys 5 port switch (split between XBox and PS2 and a future HTPC) I use Cat 5 cabling, belkin I believe. I have one cat 6 cable that goes from the switch to the PS2, but that was because I wanted a blue one so I could tell them apart easily from the back of the switch. Everything works great so far.

--Ed

13. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Ed, I'm on ATTBI (soon to be Comcast) as well. I usually get 1730-1750 down and 260-280 up on the LA test at DSL Reports. Comcast should be offering more tiers once the transition is complete. If they increase the upload cap on some of these tiers I would consider upgrading. What I find strange is that Comcast strictly prohibits hosting servers of any kind on their service yet fully support Xbox Live.

14. Ed Werner

Ed Werner Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

Wow! Thats a good u/l speed. Is that with the regular (basic) broadband package? I don't even know what they advertise as the D/L and U/L speeds. Do ya happen to know?

Looks nice though, if I had those numbers, I would definately be hosting alot more games. I can host now, but occasionally there will be a little lag. I am not sure if this is the hardware (xbox) or my u/l speed being the problem.

When they do offer their upgrade packages, I am gonna check it out, but it is allreay hard to justify to the wife (and in a way myself) the price we allready pay for digicable and broadband and the cablephone. On another note, they aren't gonna have the upgraded digital cable boxes until the end of the year. Sucks, cause I want one now. Oh well, it will give me time to fully prepare my system for it anyway as I am gonna need a component switch (actually two) before I can hook this stuff up as my reciever only has 2 component vid inputs and I have an XBox PS2 (no component cables just yet) and DVD. I want to put all my gaming systems on one switch, and the DVD/Cable on another. I need a money tree. [​IMG]

--Ed

15. James St

Comcast users received an increase in upload from 1500/128 to 1500/256 to match ATTBI users were always at that. In the last few months we were bumped up to 1800/256 perhaps even 300 up but I'm not sure on that. It really depends on your market though. You can check the products and availability here. I basically already have the home networking package they're talking about minus the extra bandwidth.

16. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

17. James St

18. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I think the Xbox calculates the connection speed in a strange way. I consistently get 1700/200 on DSLReports, and 700/100 on the Xbox, which doesn't make any sense. And I too have been unable to join some games because my speed wasn't good enough. Luckily, that hasn't happened too often when playing with HTF people.

On a side note, as much as I love my Xbox, it has to be the most unstable gaming platform I've owned. The number of times I've had online games freeze on me is beyond annoying. It seems like any time a server shuts down, the game usually just hangs instead of returning me to the menu. Also, if I happen to be in the stats or some other menu when the game finishes, the chances are high that it'll freeze on me. It gets pretty annoying when it happens 3-4 times a night.

I opened up my Xbox and cleaned the DVD mirror and lens, and that seems to have helped with the Dirty Disc Error. There was one point in Shenmue where the game would always freeze, and I finally got past it after cleaning the drive, so that has helped a little bit. But just overall, it's really annoying when the Xbox freezes.

It would also have been very helpful if there was a button combination that caused the console to reset (if there is one, I don't know about it). AFAIK the Dreamcast had this - you could always reboot the console from the controller, instead of having to get up and hit the power or eject buttons. That becomes a big pain too.

19. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

anyone know of any other sites to test u/l and d/l, other than dslreports.com?

20. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit