What Piece of Music, took some time to "get to you" ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAW, Jan 28, 2002.

1. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I'm sure we all listened to a type of music, a CD, an Artist, a Band...that took just a little more time for you to like, admire and appreciate.

What was your's ?

2. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

well fellow Mike.......
    whats yours?!?!?!?[​IMG]

3. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

OK, that's fair.

For me it was "Absolutely Free" by the Mothers of Invention.

At the time, they were the darlings of the then fledgling Rock Media...especially "Hit Parader", which was quite

"hip" to new types of Music at the time, and not just a pusher for the brainless teeny bopper stuff. I had already picked up "Freak Out" and didn't get It, or past "Trouble Everyday", "Help, I'm A Rock", "Who are the Brain Police", "The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet", etc..

So I purchased it and was very shaken and challenged by it...so much so I felt immediatley ripped off and proceeded almost threw the album in the trash and to write "Hit Parader" of same! Reluctantly, I gave it another listen and talk about satori! I proceeded to wear out two copies! It led me on a musical journey to Stravinsky, Stockhaussen, Varese, Captain Beefheart, Bonzo Doo Dah Band, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc. Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass,.., and, well, all of the rest of the Music World seemed to open up to lots more possibilities, than the Beatles and "Sgt. Pepper" !

4. isobel meldar

Karate

American Analog Set

Lionel Richie

5. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

that would be electra 2000 by Hum. i have had you'd prefer an astronaught for a long time and loved it very much. when i found out they had other cd's i bought electra 2000. it didnt sound very much like the other one, i was disapointed. so i didnt listen to it for a while. but like a few other cd's i have bought, i though " i will listen to it, and see if i can hear it". so i did it took a little while. but l like it very much!!!!

i think the moral of this story is.....

when you get a new cd dont listen to it with any thoughts

about it just sit back , open your ears and your mind and let the artist sing to you.

it might take a few times until you can start to pick out your favorite songs but it will come.

i can honestly say i dont have a single cd that i dont like!!

6. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

I don't want to seem rude - but why is it that every post

that you make poses a question but never an opinion?

So what's the point?

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I think the one disc that has grown on me more and more over the years is INXS Shabooh Shoobah(1982). I never disliked it at first but I was 14 when I first heard it and thought it was very strange. Unusual in a good way and it took many years until I really started enjoying it in its entirety. And now, it is without any doubt, my Desert Island Disc.
    Highly Recommended [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DougB

DougB Agent

Linkin Park

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Husher Du's New Day Rising when it came out

thought it sounded horrible at first...accidently left it on the turntable and it soon became one of my favorites

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Jeff Buckley's Grace. It just took me a while before I could tune into the hybrid Robert Plant/Morrissey character of his voice before I could "get" what all of the fuss was about. Now it is one of my favorite albums - although the John Cale version of Hallelujah will always be my favorite. [​IMG]
    Regards,

11. John Rockwell

John Rockwell Auditioning

System of a Down. At first I didn't like their style at all, but then one day I just said, "Wait a minute, this kicks ass!". Took a long time, but now I think their great.

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

System of a Down

Never Heard of them, what are they like?

Always on the look out for something new/different

Any cd you recommend???

13. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Another group that I had a tough start with me at first, was Blind Melon. They seemed to get lost in the shuffle after their video for "No Rain" peaked and the lead singer O.D.ed, but they overcame that to produce some interesting music.

Put off a little by the seeming triteness of "No Rain", I initially dismissed them as One Hit Wonders. But on further listening investigation...and really getting into a 3CD fan-compiled rarities set I picked up, I'm completely now sold on them Big Time ! Check out their entertaining long form video/DVD, titled "Letters from a Porcupine" too, for the group story, and a well-put together introduction to their music.

The Gin Blossoms are another competent group of high caliber, that, just didn't get the breaks! Well, so what else is new...so hasn't Matthew Sweet, !

14. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Pink Floyd. I always thought of them as my "dads old music". Fast forward some years later and now I can see why he loves them so much, in fact they are all I have been listening to as of late [​IMG]

15. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

Steven, what's become your favorite song or album by Pink Floyd ?

16. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

the albums "Rain Dogs" and "Swordfishtrombones". lyrically and musically they are both so dense and rich that that it took me several listens to get past their surface oddness and appreciate the talent involved in making them.

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'll agree with the above post. Tom Waits for sure. It took me a while. Maybe because I was younger, when I first heard Rain Dogs, but a few years later I popped it in. Now I own everything he has. Amazing!....Swordfishtombones being the best. IMHO

18. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

MikeAW
    My Favorite Pink Floyd album so far would be a tie between Dark Side & Wish You Were Here.
    Favorite song...thats a hard one [​IMG]
    Money
    Dogs
    Sorrow
    etc etc ect[​IMG]

19. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Richard Buckner.

Initially I had a country-phobia which kept me from 'getting into' the twangy, minimalist sound. Now he ranks up there with some of my favorite singer/songwriters. When I lived in Maine we had a chance to see him play live, take him out for drinks, and have him over to our house. I really connected with him and now have total respect for his art. Utterly uncompromising and beautiful.

Joseph