What's new

What percent of your DVD collection is from the $5.50/5.88 wal-mart bins? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

I have a few discs I paid full price for that I haven't even watched once that are *this far* from the $5.50 bin (they're at ~$7 now). I hate when that happens. I have noticed that these days discs of movies that didn't do great in the theater or discs that don't sell well are dropping in price really quickly. I have a new buying strategy for new releases of dubious popularity to the general public, and that is to wait 3-6 months...so I might be 6 months behind on new releases, but I'll still have a stream of new stuff but for around half original price, and it should reduce the double-dipping of newer movies a bit.

I notice that Universal is really quick about dropping prices, lots of discs that have only been out for a year or even less are much less than half price now.

It has got to the point that the only thing I'm buying on release day is TV series and re-releases of older movies, both of which don't seem to shortly plummet in price.

I have about 25 from the WM bargain bin, some pretty good stuff that was previously hard to find in any store around here. Also some mediocre stuff. The Canadian bins seem to have some quite different titles than the U.S. bins, with some overlap of course. We seem to have the WS/FS flippers of many of those FS discs people are complaining about.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Anthony Clifton.... hmmmm....

MR. KAUFMANN???!?!??

Seriously though, I have a few from the $5.88 bin but I quite checking it a while back. At first, you could usually find at least one decent flick in the bin if you dug far enough but I haven't really heard of a good title in there in a while.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Out of the thousand or so DVDs I have, I've only gotten one out of Wal-mart's bin: CAPTAIN KRONOS, VAMPIRE HUNTER. This was because I was tipped off that it was there for $5 or something. I also learned that FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL was in there, but it was too late; I had already spent $15 on it from a main store.

One thing that irks me about that bin is why it has to be a "bin" at all? Can't they just stand them upright on a table to make it easier? It's like they want you to work for your price breaks, by digging through that garbage can. I can rarely be bothered.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For $5.50, I can!
The Bride.
Titan A.E..*
Serpents Kiss.
Pretty Baby.
Wild Things.*
The Last of the Red Hot Lovers.
A Mid Summers Night Dream (non-anamorphic).*
Michael Jordan; To the Max.
Cats & Dogs.
School Daze.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
The Buddy Holley Story.
Mohammed Ali (document).
Samurai Jack.
Bedazzled.
*=gift.
And maybe twice that many as well!
Maybe this thread could include this weeks finds, as well.
Like last week, The Talented Mr. Ripley, appeared.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

For such a lousy selection of films, and with so many of them pan & scan only, put me in the "I can rarely be bothered" camp. I've only browsed a few times, and have never come across one I'd pay 50 cents for, much less $5.50. (the one I did buy wasn't from browsing, someone had pointed out that the dvd was in there - inexplicable too as it was OAR, a new release and a great movie - 3 things rarely seen together in that bin. :))

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

First, I can not comtemplate anyone saying the films listed are "lousy". Butt, too each their own.
What I can say is none of the title I listed are P&S.
So, I give up!
Don't shop THE bin.
More for us.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I've gotten 64 titles from the 5.50/5.88/7.50 bins. Most in the 5.50 section.
Equals about 4.4% of my collection.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I may have mistaken other's statements, like "lousy".
Maybe other's are just saying there is just too much 'junk' to go though too get to anything 'good'.
Too this I would say; Yeah!
Some people hate the bin. I always hear people complaining while I am pulling out my Sunday Night Movie. Sometimes even a double feature (such as School Daze & The Talented Mr. Ripley, this Sunday, for less than $12. Stupid me, I didn't realise I was doing a Ben & Matt double feature till I was about to load TTMR!).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

I wasn't necessarily refering to your list, most of which I haven't seen. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen most of the films I've run across in those bins. But there's nothing on your list that I have any interest in, and nothing I've ever seen in those bins I have any interest in (with that one notable exception), yet I've bought over 1000 dvds. So, in terms of films I'm interested in, it's a lousy selection.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
George,
It would be fun too see what DVD's you do have!
I also am unfamiliar with most of the titles.
We are just quite different folk. I find I'll take a chance on an unknown quanity, for ten bucks & under.
I find it very difficult, however I do understand, that a film lover would not embrace; Serpents Kiss. One of my favorite finds was Godzilla 2000 (OK, that's NOT for everyone too love!) & I always loved The Bride (Jennifer Beals, for goodness sake!!!) for being; Sooooooooooo Gothic.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well Ed, it would be quite a long list to type in, but I'll just say that this last week I bought Blazing Saddles SE, Dick Van Dyke Season 5 and Fancy Pants. I found Fancy Pants for $8.99 at Costco, but I doubt if it was in the Wal-Mar bin. I couldn't even find any of these at Wal-Mart on the regular shelf (and yes, I looked). I sometimes do find dvds at Wal-Mart (though not in the bargain bin), but most of what I want they don't even carry at all, so I'm not really impressed with their overall selection, much less their bargain bin selection. :)

You know that was a typo when I called it the Wal-Mar bin, and I was going to edit this message to fix it, but the more I think about it with all the pan & scan in there, I think I will refer to it as the Wal-MAR bin. :) :) :)

I thought this was a thread about DVD'S instead of the perils of WalMart. I live in WalMart's home state (Arkansas) and have seen first hand how many employees of this company have prospered. One example is a freind who went to work for them out of high school. what you might not know is that they have a pretty good employee stock ownership program. After 20 years worth of stock splits he has over 10,000 shares of stock that he paid very little for. Check the current value of their stock and see how much pity you feel for him. He is pretty damn happy (he is just a department manager in a retail outlet - not a coorporate suit). If you feel that strong about how other peoples working conditions are, you consider what the people making the equipment in your home theaters are going through in Malaysia or wherever it is made. Take my word for it that the Walton family in Bentonville are not being hurt by your refusal to shop their store, only the employees are being hurt.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Exclusively from walmart would be the following. All are OAR & 16x9 when applicable as I won't buy anything that isn't.

Pretty Baby was a blind buy and something I doubt I will have any desire in revisiting. About Last Night I remembered thinking was pretty good when I saw it many years ago so picked it up.

The Bear, Muppets, and W&G I love. The Scout because I like baseball and Albert Brooks so figured why not and Pump Up the Volume mostly because of Miss Mathis though I enjoyed the film when it was first released.

The Man Who Knew Too Little and Frankenstein I could have done without since I likely won't revisit them for quite some time..

About Last Night
The Bear
Local Hero
Man Who Knew Too Little, The
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Muppets from Space
Pretty Baby
Pump Up the Volume
Scout, The
Wallace & Gromit - The Incredible Adventures of Wallace & Gromit

If the topic was broadened to include titles that I picked up under $6 from various retail sources like Target, Best Buy, Overstock, DDD, DVD Soon, and sales like 2 for $10 at them then the list would increase dramatically (~50 or so).

Adam_R

Second Unit
0%

Only because I've never seen a movie I wanted in there.

I get tired of digging quickly. There are usually a few people digging in the bin, and that's too crowded for me.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Ed, you found this in OAR in 'the bin'? I could never find it at any Wal-Mart in anything other than P&S even when it was on the regular shelves.

I'm sure there are nuggets here and there to be found in the bin, I just hate standing there shoveling through the crap to find that one diamond. I wish they'd have it more organized.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Regarding the shoveling:
It is probably due to that disorganization that there are still some diamonds out there!
IF it were always organized, those gems would probably have already been picked clean.:frowning:

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
I love shopping at wal-mart for dvds! It is the only place around here that has fair prices. Everything else is small shops with DVDs like Kill Bill at MSRP - 30 bucks, and used copies for 20 (Strawberries.) Its BS so I just walk over to the Wal-Mart where I can get all my new big releases for usually around 20 bucks or cheaper

I find there are almost ALWAYS an OAR version of flicks if there is the fullscreen too at wal-mart. (Besides the bin.)

And since this is a thread about the bin I would say I probably have 6-7 from the bin. Like others said usually not a whole lot that interests me in the bin, but its still worth looking.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Keeping strictly to the Wal-Mart bin, I have 7 of my 395 from there. Keep in mind that when I count in DVDPedia, it goes by barcode, so for example, my four-title Alien Quadrilogy only counts as one. Same for my Chaplin collections.

Anyway, I was never very good at math. 7/395 is .0177... or 1.8%, right?

And that's not counting the impulse-buy racks at Best Buy or Walgreens!

FYI, the seven titles I got at Wal-Mart were all OAR:
The Bride
Diner
Grand Canyon
The Matchmaker
Night Shift
Singles
The Talented Mr. Ripley

CDE,

CS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks